Armando Bacot returning for fifth season with UNC basketball

20230304 - UNC MEN'S BASKETBALL VS. DUKE
UNC senior forward Armando Bacot (5) dunks the ball during the men's basketball game against Duke at the Dean E. Smith Center on Saturday, March 4, 2023. UNC fell to Duke 62-57.

In an interview with The Stadium, senior forward Armando Bacot announced he will return for a fifth season with UNC's men's basketball team.

“I felt it was the right decision for my future,” Bacot said. "The primary reason I am coming back is because I don’t want to leave North Carolina this way, but I also know I need to improve and feel like this is the best place to do that."  

Bacot averaged 15.9 points and 10.4 rebounds last season and was an All-ACC First Team selection for the second year in a row. On Jan. 21, he became the program's all-time rebounding and double-double leader in UNC's 80-69 win over N.C. State.

The Richmond native considered testing the NBA Draft waters last season but ultimately came back to a group that entered the year as the top team in the nation. Following a disappointing campaign that saw the Tar Heels miss the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2010, Bacot's return should provide some stability for a program that currently has four players in the transfer portal.  

@hunternelson_1