Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC men's basketball junior guard Caleb Love enters transfer portal

20230225_Peoples_mbball_unc_vs_uva-3.jpg
UNC junior guard Caleb Love (2) looks at the basket during the men’s basketball game against UVA in the Dean E. Smith Center on Saturday, Feb. 25, 2023. He announced Monday he will be entering the transfer portal.

Following three seasons with the North Carolina men's basketball team, junior guard Caleb Love will enter the transfer portal, Love announced Monday via social media.

"I've taken some time with my family to reevaluate what's best for me to continue to grow as a player, and I've decided to enter the transfer portal to continue my journey," he wrote.

Love started 96 games for the Tar Heels in his career and was the team's leading scorer this past season. He was a key figure in UNC's run to the 2022 national title game, scoring 18.8 points per game in the NCAA Tournament that included a 28-point performance in the team's win over Duke in the Final Four.

Love is the team's sixth player to enter the transfer portal this season. With Love's pending departure, the Tar Heels' primary backcourt will be led by guard RJ Davis, who announced he was returning for his senior season last Friday. Incoming four-star prospect Simeon Wilcher could also play a prominent role for a group looking bounce back from an underwhelming 20-13 campaign.

@hunternelson_1