UNC softball loses midweek game to Charlotte despite late comeback effort

20230215_Tran-softball-5.jpg

Head coach Donna J. Papa talks to the UNC softball team before the softball game against Elon at Anderson Stadium on Wednesday, Feb. 15, 2023. UNC beat Elon 9-5.

The North Carolina softball team (23-26, 11-9 ACC) dropped its Wednesday night game to Charlotte, 3-2.

Charlotte got the bats moving early with two singles in the top of the first but failed to put up a run. UNC had one single by Bri Stubbs, but the game remained scoreless after one inning.

Three hits and an error allowed the 49ers to grab an early 3-0 lead in the second. In the bottom of the inning, the Tar Heels once again had one hit, this time by Carlie Myrtle, but didn’t earn a place on the scoreboard.

Kenna Raye Dark pitched three up, three down for North Carolina in the top of the third. The third inning proved to be a short one, with the Tar Heels also batting three up, three down.

Both teams continued the unsuccessful offensive pattern in the fourth, both batting three up, three down for the second consecutive inning.

Dark pitched three up, three down for the third straight inning in the top of the fifth, but UNC also batted three up, three down for a third straight inning.

The 49ers had no hits once again in the sixth, while UNC’s Carsyn Snead had the first hit since the second inning. Alex Brown followed with a single of her own. Two ground outs brought the runners around to lessen North Carolina’s deficit to one. 

Charlotte had no hits for the fifth straight inning in the seventh, but the Tar Heels batted three up, three down to lose 3-2.

Dark held the 49ers, pitching three up, three down for three consecutive innings and not allowing any hits in her five innings pitched.

Charlotte had a promising early lead that looked even more promising as both teams’ offenses slowed down in the third and fourth innings. UNC’s comeback in the sixth made this anyone’s game.

North Carolina came into Wednesday’s home matchup on a five-game win streak after picking up its first undefeated series since 2019 at rival N.C. State this weekend. The team is hoping to finish the regular season in the top six seeds in the ACC to get a bye in the conference tournament and is currently in sixth place. While this loss doesn't affect the ACC standings, it could be a real momentum crusher for the Tar Heels.

UNC will hit the road for its final ACC series at Georgia Tech this weekend.

@lindseyashe_