No. 2 UNC men's golf ties for sixth at ACC Championship after not qualifying for match play

201909-duong-dth-chapelhill-golfselects-3.jpg

Ryan Burnett putts in the green at the Rod Myers Invitational at the Duke University Golf Club on Sunday, September 15, 2019. 

PINEHURST, N.C.— The No. 2 UNC men’s golf team had an early exit from the ACC Tournament Sunday after not making the cut for match play. 

The Tar Heels found themselves in a hole after their first-round performance Friday where they finished with a final score of two-over par. Despite being the top-seeded team in the competition, North Carolina was nowhere near the top of the leaderboard after the first round of play. Following this, UNC finished the second round even at par, making no adjustments to their position in the standings.

“We just never found our rhythm at all this week,” head coach Andrew DiBitetto said. “We just looked off.”

Round three, which was originally scheduled for Saturday, was postponed to Sunday morning due to inclement weather after each golfer got only a handful of shots in. 

The Tar Heels went into the cut determination round with work to do. They needed to climb into a top four spot in order to advance to match play. While there were numerous chances for North Carolina to lower their score, notably on the fourth hole where fifth-year Ryan Burnett was forced to bogey, it was unable to break into the negatives.

When one golfer birdied, another bogeyed to leave the Tar Heels stagnant for the third round. The Tar Heels finished the third round even at par. Overall, North Carolina finished tied for sixth with Louisville at two-over par to force an early exit despite their high ranking.

Burnett was the only Tar Heel to finish in the negatives in the first round, recording a final tally of one-under par. In the second round, senior Dylan Menante finished two-under par. This was the lowest score for North Carolina in the second round of competition. 

“Friday was a long day,” Menante said. “I played alright but definitely did not hit it my best. We had a lot of people have some issues. We had a back problem and a couple of people throwing up.”

Two Tar Heels finished below par in the third round of stroke play- Menante finished five-under and sophomore David Ford finished two-under.

North Carolina was forced to attempt a comeback on the front nine during the third round. However, the attempt fell short. The Tar Heels’ performance in the first and second rounds made it difficult for them to fight into the top four to advance to match play.

“We didn’t hit it well,” Ford said regarding Friday’s performance. “We lost focus as a team and didn’t take care of details as well as we should’ve.”

North Carolina confidently underperformed as the top seed, making it more questionable as to how they will play in the NCAA Tournament. This was the Tar Heels’ last tournament before the NCAA Tournament schedule is announced. They must use the results from this weekend to ignite a fire within the team before they face their next opponent.

UNC now looks ahead to the NCAA Tournament. They await their seeding in the regionals portion of the championship. 

@j_kidd03