UNC women’s tennis heads to ACC championship match with win over Virginia

03312023_Crochik_womenstennis-18.jpg
UNC sophomore Carson Tanguilig waiting for a serve during a match against the Florida State University Seminoles at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Friday, March 31, 2023. The Tar Heels won 6-1.

The No. 1 North Carolina women’s tennis team (29-0) defeated No. 4 Virginia (18-6), 4-0, in the ACC Tournament semifinals on Saturday. 

No. 11 sophomore Carson Tanguilig and junior Fiona Crawley found success early with a dominating 6-3 win in doubles play. Following a loss from No. 16 senior Elizabeth Scotty and freshman Reese Brantmeier, attention tuned to junior Reilly Tran and graduate Abbey Forbes to decide the doubles point. 

In a highly contested match, Tran and Forbes entered the final games tied 5-5. After a double fault from Virginia, the Tar Heels secured the doubles point with a 7-5 win. 

Entering singles play, every Tar Heel won their first set with the exception of No. 6 Brantmeier and No. 37 senior Anika Yarlagadda. In the second set, Scotty continued to shine. By holding Virginia’s Hibah Shaikh to four points, Scotty earned the first singles point. 

Crawley also found the same success. In both sets, Crawley held Virginia’s Natasha Subhash to a mere two points. Quickly afterward, Tanguilig also finished the match winning the second set 6-3. North Carolina ended with a 4-0 win.

Scotty proved to be a point of consistency for the Tar Heels once again. By only giving up one game in the first set, Scotty refused to let Virginia take the momentum. Crawley’s quick pace and smart returns also led to the same results. With a strong finish from Tanguilig to close the match, the Tar Heels remained on top through the trio’s combined efforts. 

After winning the highly contested doubles point, Scotty, Crawley and Tanguilig never relented from the beginning of singles play. By winning in straight sets, Virginia had no opportunity to gain a singular point.

Following today’s win, UNC has increased its winning streak to 29 which is the second longest in program history. 

The Tar Heels will look to continue their hot streak in the ACC championship on Sunday where they look to claim their twelfth ACC win. As North Carolina prepares for the NCAA championships in early May, showcasing their dominance in tournaments like this is critical. 

The Tar Heels will advance to the championship match on Sunday, where they will take on the winner of No. 3 North Carolina State versus No. 7 Georgia Tech. UNC will play at 10 a.m. 

@_emmahmoon