Diamond Heels drop game one to Boston College in extra innings

20230328_Tran-baseball-2.jpg
UNC sophomore Vance Honeycutt (7) waits for the pitch during the baseball game against Costal Carolina on Tuesday, March 27, 2023, at Boshamer Stadium. UNC fell to Costal Carolina 7-12.

The No. 18 North Carolina baseball team (25-13, 9-8) fell 9-8 to No. 20 Boston College (25-12, 10-9) in the series opener Friday night in extra innings at Boshamer Stadium. 

Boston College opened the scoring in the top of the first inning after a double to left field drove in outfielder Travis Honeyman from first. The Eagles then loaded the bases after an error by UNC and capitalized off a wild pitch from junior starter Max Carlson to take an early 2-0 lead.

The Tar Heels quickly got runners on second and third in the bottom of the first, and junior second baseman Jackson Van De Brake singled up the middle to drive in redshirt first-year outfielder Casey Cook. On the next at bat, sophomore outfielder Vance Honeycutt hit a moonshot to left field, putting North Carolina up 4-2. The hot inning at the plate continued, as junior designated hitter Alberto Osuna hit a two-run homer to left field to extend the lead to 6-2. 

Boston College added another run in the top of the third after a single to right field. The Eagles then added two more before the end of the inning, cutting the UNC lead to 6-5. Boston College tied the game 6-6 in the fifth inning after a single to right drove in third baseman Nick Wang from second. 

The game remained scoreless until the ninth, when Boston College broke the deadlock off of a solo shot by left fielder Cameron Leary. In UNC’s half of the inning, Van De Brake singled up the middle to drive in Horvath, tying the game 7-7 and sending it to extra innings. 

To open up extra innings, Boston College took a two-run lead off a single through the left side that took an awkward bounce over junior shortstop Colby Wilkerson. UNC advanced runners to second and third in its half of the inning and Wilkerson scored as Van De Brake singled up the middle. However, Honeycutt struck out looking to end the game and UNC fell 9-8. 

Honeycutt and Osuna led the way for the Diamond Heels at the plate, each hitting a home run to left field. Honeycutt went 1-5 with three RBIs off his home run in the first inning. Osuna went 2-5 and added two RBIs.

Junior pitcher Matt Poston had a stellar outing on the mound for the Diamond Heels. In three innings of work, he didn’t allow a hit and struck out four batters.  

After quickly falling behind 2-0, the Tar Heels started hot at the plate by scoring six in the first. However, Boston College slowly chipped into the UNC lead by putting up three runs in the third and then adding one more during the fifth to tie the game.

In the top of the ninth, the Eagles took a 7-6 lead off a solo home run, but the Tar Heels added one of their own, sending the game into extras. Boston College then plated two runs in the tenth. In the bottom half of the inning, the Diamond Heels cut the lead to one but ultimately came up short. 

In an important series for the Tar Heels, dropping game one means they need to win on both Saturday and Sunday in order to keep their chances of hosting a regional alive. After last weekend's loss to Miami, UNC will look to avoid losing their second straight ACC home series.  

The Diamond Heels take on Boston College in game two of the series on Saturday. The first pitch is slated for 6 p.m. at Boshamer Stadium. 

@mdmaynard74