Kevin Eaise making smooth transition to bullpen role for Diamond Heels

20230321_Tran-baseball-1.jpg

UNC graduate student Kevin Eaise (29) winds up during the baseball game against N.C. A&T on Tuesday, March 21, 2023, at Boshamer Stadium in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. UNC beat N.C. A&T 6-4.

For Kevin Eaise, making the transition to the North Carolina baseball team wasn't the only adjustment the graduate transfer pitcher had to make.

After spending the majority of his time at the University of Pennsylvania as a starter – where he unanimously won Ivy League Pitcher of the Year with a 7-1 record and 79 strikeouts in his senior year – Eaise has quickly emerged as one of the Diamond Heels' most dominant and reliable options out of the bullpen this season. 

In 12 appearances so far, Eaise has pitched 30.1 innings and boasts a 2.67 ERA with 38 strikeouts. In his fourth outing of the year against then-No. 17 Virginia, Eaise matched his career high of nine strikeouts in just over three innings. 

“It’s almost like he’s a fifth-year for us and he’s been here four years," head coach Scott Forbes said. "He’s just a special kid and you can tell how bad he wants to be out there.” 

After a rough outing against Seton Hall to start the season, in which Eaise pitched just a third of an inning while giving up three runs on as many hits, he has since posted eight scoreless outings in 11 appearances.

At Penn, Eaise said he got used to the starter's mindset of having nearly a week to reset after poor performances. At UNC, he quickly adjusted to the different mentality that relief pitchers need in order to succeed. 

Eaise spent some time as a reliever during his first season at Penn, but since coming to Chapel Hill, he has looked forward to taking the mound more often in his new role. 

“You kind of are living and dying with those starts cause you know you’re going to have to wait a week if they’re bad," Eaise said. "But with the relief role, you kind of get that where, obviously you want to do well every time, but you know you’re gonna get sent back out there a little bit sooner.”

Forbes pointed to Eaise’s quick recovery ability as one of the main reasons he brings him out of the bullpen. He even compared Eaise to former UNC pitcher Cooper Criswell who, like Eaise, transferred to UNC as a starting pitcher and settled into the relief role. By the end of the 2018 season, Criswell became a starter for the team.

“If we can get our team to where he’s our back end guy, he’s in the game to the end would be ideal because he has everything that you need as a closer,” he said. “I think the great thing for us is that he’s starting to get acclimated to the bullpen.”

While settling into his new role, Eaise also was transferring into a well-established and experienced Tar Heel team, but both Forbes and junior starting pitcher Connor Bovair said that Eaise didn’t seem to miss a beat. Over the past few months, he has fit right into the team dynamic while also displaying his experience on the mound. 

“He’s one of the funniest guys I know, but he kind of keeps a low profile, and when he goes out on the mound, you can’t really tell when he is angry at something,” Bovair said.

As the Tar Heels continue ACC play and look toward the postseason, Eaise will look to continue to provide a consistent and reliable option out of the bullpen, and a threat that Forbes can count on.

“We’re the ones that are lucky to have him," Forbes said. "I’m thankful that he came to UNC.”   

@mdmaynard74