UNC women's tennis ends regular season undefeated with big win over No. 3 Duke

03312023_Crochik_womenstennis-21.jpg

UNC junior Fiona Crawley serves during a match against Florida State University at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Friday, March 31, 2023. The Tar Heels won 6-1.

In the last game of the regular season, the No. 1 North Carolina women’s tennis team (26-0, 12-0 ACC) defeated No. 3 Duke (22-2, 11-1 ACC) by a score of 4-1.

Despite playing only three non-conference singles matches in the spring season, senior Sophia Patel paired with senior Elizabeth Scotty on the No. 3 doubles court. The pair kept it close in some games but lost their matchup, 6-2.

Meanwhile, the No. 4 duo of junior Fiona Crawley and sophomore Carson Tanguilig had few problems on the No. 1 court, defeating their matchup 6-1.

All eyes turned to the No. 2 court where sophomore Reese Brantmeier and junior Reilly Tran would decide the doubles point. 

The duo faced an intense match – at one point head coach Brian Kalbas furiously argued with a chair umpire over a point given – but they ultimately prevailed. Tied at 3-3, Brantmeier and Tran won three straight to claim the doubles point for UNC.

In singles, every Tar Heel except graduate Abbey Forbes won their first set, and each winner won their set by at least three games.

Brantmeier and Tran’s doubles play clinched the doubles point. Brantmeier’s strong serves and deep returns made solid returns difficult for Duke, allowing Team and her quick reflexes to crush volleys at the net.

Senior Anika Yarlagadda showed off precise placement on her returns to handle her opponent in straight sets and clinch the first singles point for UNC. No. 10 Brantmeier again used her versatile return game to bury No. 73 Cameron Morra in straight sets. 

Tran would once again play a role in deciding her team’s fate, this time keeping her steel to beat Duke’s Ellie Coleman in straight sets despite a close second set.

A win over the Blue Devils means that the Tar Heels end the regular season undefeated and clinch a regular season championship.

Against a Duke team that had not lost a game since February 26, the No. 1 team in the country defended its home court with relative comfort. 

Two of the three doubles pairs in Brantmeier/Tran and Patel/Scotty had only played together once before this season. Despite this, the Tar Heels adjusted and clinched a crucial doubles point. North Carolina is now 25-2 in doubles play.

This match marks the end of the Tar Heels’ regular season. They’ll play next in the ACC Championship, which starts on April 19. 

The schedule for the tournament has yet to be released, so it is currently unclear what date UNC will play next.

@dmtwumasi