No. 1 UNC women's tennis easily handles Florida State 6-1 in Chapel Hill

IMG_4448.jpeg
UNC first-year Reese Brantmeier serving the ball at a match against the Florida State University Seminoles at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center on Friday, March 31, 2023. The Tar Heels won 6-1.

No. 1 North Carolina (23-0) maintains its perfect record with 6-1 win over the No. 38 Florida State Seminoles (10-7). 

The Tar Heels got a hot start in doubles play with a quick 6-3 win from No. 4 junior Fiona Crawley and sophomore Carson Tanguilig. Only needing to win one more match to gain the doubles point, No. 13 freshman Reese Brantmeier and senior Elizabeth Scotty worked to end a tightly contested match against Florida States’ Kianah Motosoo and Vic Allen with a 6-4 win. In the last three games of the match, Brantmeier and Scotty stopped the bleeding and held the Seminoles to 4 games. After already winning the doubles point, No. 54 graduate Abbey Forbes and junior Reilly Tran finished the sweep with a dominating 6-2 victory. 

Going into singles, No. 80 Scotty showed her efficiency by winning her first set against FSU’s Mila Saric 6-0. In the second set, by only giving up one game and maintaining offensive control, Scotty smothered Saric to earn the first singles point for North Carolina.

Joining Scotty, taking over the No. 1 spot, No. 15 Brantmeier also won the first set holding Anna Arkadianou to a mere 2 games. She continued this success going into the second set with a controlling 6-1 landslide over Arkadianou. To continue the sweep, No. 68 Tran worked to end the competition with two 6-2 sets that led to the final singles point victory needed. 

Although Brantmeir, Scotty, and Tran found early success, both No. 1 Crawley and No. 14 Tanguilig fell to their opponents during the first match. Although Tanguilig worked to cut FSU’s Ellie Schoppe’s lead to one after being in a 4-1 deficit, Schoppe managed to close the set with a win.  

Coming off of the set losses, both Forbes and Crawley worked to secure the matches going into tie-break making the score 6-0. After beating Allen 10-6 in the third set, Crawley maintained her leading No. 1 singles position. While Tanguilig fell to Schoppe 6-1 in the third set, with victories in doubles and from the rest of the singles players, UNC was able to top FSU 6-1. 

In both doubles and singles play, Scotty appeared to be in total command offensively. By only giving up one game and winning the doubles match, FSU was unable to touch Scotty. Along with Scotty, Tran and Brantmeier showcased their offensive prowess with respective sweeps for both. With Brantmeier taking the No. 1 spot in this match, she also proved her capability to excel in this position. 

By taking the early doubles point, with singles sweeps from Brantmeier, Scotty, and Tran, FSU was unable to take control at any point. 

As the Tar Heels move into more difficult matches against NC State, Wake Forest, and Duke in April, proving their ability to dominate in both singles and doubles is critical in order to maintain their perfect record and number one spot.

The Tar Heels will continue their homestretch in Chapel Hill on Saturday, April 1 at 1 p.m. against Miami.