No. 1 UNC women's tennis blows by Hurricanes with 5-2 victory over No. 11 Miami

IMG_4490.jpeg
UNC first year Reese Brantmeier recieves the ball during the women's tennis match against the University of Miami on Saturday, April 1, 2023, at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center.

On Saturday, the No. 1 North Carolina women’s tennis team (24-0, 10-0 ACC) bested the No. 11 Miami Hurricanes (11-5, 6-3 ACC), 5-2, indoors at the renovated Cone-Kenfield complex. 

In the third match of doubles play, graduate Abbey Forbes and junior Reilly Tran were tested early with a series of quick volleys and difficult-to-contain backhands from Miami’s Audrey-Boch Collins and Mia Mack. Falling into an early two-game deficit, the pair’s resilience propelled the Tar Heels to a 6-3 victory that would clinch the doubles point for UNC.

First-year standout Reese Brantmeier continued her dominant doubles play from the previous Florida State matchup, quickly cutting from difficult angles and producing several aces with her powerful serve. Low strike contributions from senior Elizabeth Scotty were crucial in the duo’s 6-3 winning effort in match one.

Match two saw plenty of lets and faults from the Hurricanes’ Isabella Pfenning and Alexa Noel. Junior Fiona Crawley was unstoppable via an unpredictable slicing backhand. Spikes from the frontcourt sophomore Carson Tanguiling notched several break points for UNC, which eventually fell 6-4. 

Singles performances fortified UNC’s roster depth across the board. 

Commanding first-set showings by No. 1 Crawley, No. 14 Tanguiling, No. 80 Scotty, and No. 35 senior Anika Yarlagadda gave North Carolina substantial momentum. Crawley secured the first singles point for the Tar Heels 6-1, 6-0. Tanguilig quickly earned a second point with a 6-1, 6-0 victory of her own against Pfenning. Subsequent efforts from Scotty (6-2, 6-1) and Yarlagadda (6-3, 6-0) padded a momentous North Carolina triumph on Saturday. 

No. 15 Brantmeier was involved in a back-and-forth clash with Miami’s No. 11 Alexa Noel. Losing the first set 6-3, Brantmeier mounted a substantial comeback with four consecutive games won in the second set. Despite falling short 6-3, 6-4, the high-octane, top-15 matchup was a highlight of the afternoon for spectators.  

Brantmeier continued to flash signs of dominance in her doubles play, holding firm defensively in the back court while producing powerful strikes, perfectly placed slices, and several aces to her name. Despite falling short in her singles matchup, her ability to paint the tramlines with speed-changing forehands was notable in her improving style of play. 

Scotty was responsible for several notable returns in her singles effort, playing with an elevated level of confidence that ultimately proved vital in UNC’s success on the day. 

With a third singles match victory in a matter of minutes, Scotty’s resounding 6-2, 6-1 performance clinched the pivotal fourth point for Tar Heels. Piling on additional victories across single sets, the Tar Heels were undisputed victors for the rest of the afternoon. 

Coming into play as the No. 1-ranked program for seven consecutive weeks, UNC women’s tennis faced a formidable opponent in No. 11 Miami. With a 22-14 all-time record against the Hurricanes, the Tar Heels notched their 24th consecutive win on the season whilst extinguishing a streaking Miami team, who previously recorded wins in six of their seven previous matches.  

North Carolina will take on No. 7 N.C. State in a highly anticipated home-matchup in Chapel Hill on April 6 at 5 P.M.

@moiramartin010