UNC seniors plan to go out with a 'bang' during Senior Week

20230412_Le_university-senior-week-preview
UNC graduating seniors hold their graduation caps at the Old Well on Wednesday, April 12, 2023.

While most seniors have made countless memories at UNC, next week is filled with opportunities for them to make more. 

A series of community-building events will be held as part of “Senior Week,” hosted by the Senior Class Marshals.

The celebrations include a social at He’s Not Here, a dinner at Sutton’s Drug Store, the annual bell tower climb, trivia night at Linda’s Bar & Grill and a game of bar golf.

“We really hope that we get to go out with a bang, and that we get to really just spend some time with the people who have made this experience worth it over these past four years,” Senior Class Vice President Keisha Solanki said.

On Monday, seniors can watch the Carolina Skies star show for seniors at Night at Planetarium at the Morehead Planetarium. That same day, the first 180 seniors at He’s Not Here will receive a free Blue Cup courtesy of the Senior Class Marshals.

“I'm excited that all these events and traditions and excitement really get to bring together all the people that I've spent these four years with,” senior Chloe Stiles said.

Tuesday will feature the annual “Last Lecture” at McCorkle Place with a surprise lecturer to be announced closer to the event. Last year’s guest was former UNC men’s basketball head coach Roy Williams. 

Additionally, seniors can sign up for time slots to enjoy dinner at Sutton’s on Tuesday evening. Sutton’s typically closes at 2:30 p.m. on weekdays but is making an exception for UNC seniors. 

Wednesday’s senior week event is the longstanding tradition of climbing the Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower. This year, a carnival-type event will be set up at the base of the bell tower for seniors to enjoy caramel apples, yard games, popcorn and more. 

Historically, graduating seniors have been allowed to climb the stairway to the top of the bell tower and take photos, then sign their names on the tower walls. However, seniors will no longer be permitted to write on the bell tower walls due to concerns about building erosion. 

“I'm definitely a bit sad that we can't sign the bell tower just because so many seniors years before have done it,” Stiles said.

Despite this change, the marshals have come up with an alternative. Throughout the day, seniors will be able to sign a large book at the exit of the bell tower climb.

“Our aim is to digitize that after the event so that it's available for all Class of 2023 members to look back at,” Solanki said.

Despite this shift in tradition, Senior Marshal Caleb Myers said he is glad the signatures will be given a more permanent home.

He also said he would like the physical book to be kept permanently on campus.

“As much as I regret not being able to actually sign it, it will be nice to have this new part of the tradition that won't ever be washed away,” he said. 

Seniors can register for a trivia night at Linda’s on Thursday. And, to culminate Senior Week, the Marshals have organized a game of Bar Golf — a total of 12 local bars — to be played on Friday night by seniors who purchased tickets. The event will run until 2 a.m. and will include stops at Might As Well, Goodfellows, Linda’s, Sup Dogs and more.

Solanki said she just wants seniors to have fun in these last few weeks of the semester and she hopes as many people as possible can participate in the festivities.

“Hopefully, everything we plan will come together effectively and will be something my classmates can enjoy,” Myers said.

@dailytarheel