Barbara Foushee announces candidacy for open Carrboro mayor seat

20210620_McGinnis_Juneteenth-2.jpg
Carrboro Town Council Member, Barbara Foushee, speaks at the NAACP Youth Council Juneteenth Celebration and states "our future is bright with our young kings and queens and they need to continue to have a seat at the table."

On Monday afternoon, Carrboro Town Council member Barbara Foushee announced her candidacy for Mayor of Carrboro. 

Foushee has served on the Carrboro Town Council since 2017. 

"My mayoral run is a continuation of my services to the Town Council," she said.

She also said that she brings her past as a community activism to her career as an elected official. 

"It has been an honor and a privilege to serve the Carrboro community for the past 5 ½ years as a Town Council member, and I look forward to doing more if I am elected to serve as Mayor,” Foushee said in a press release. “I want to keep a seat at the local government table as Mayor.”

Racial equity, climate change, affordable housing and the Carrboro Connects comprehensive plan are high on Foushee's list of priorities, according to her press release. 

Current Carrboro Mayor Damon Seils announced on April 19 that he will not seek for re-election. 

"He certainly leaves a legacy especially as this as it relates to transportation efforts in the town," she said. 

Foushee is currently the only candidate running for the open seat. 

@wslivingston_

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science. 

More in Carrboro