A look at community resources and organizations across Chapel Hill and Carrboro

20220808_Westra_city-identity-base-cultural-centers-chapel-hill-carrboro-2.jpg
El Centro Hispano in Carrboro, N.C. on Aug. 8th, 2022. El Centro Hispano is one of many identity-based centers located in the Chapel Hill/Carrboro area.

Many organizations and identity-based centers in Chapel Hill and Carrboro support and advocate for residents in the area.

Here's what to know about some of the community's main resources.

Community Empowerment Fund 

The Community Empowerment Fund is a non-profit organization in Durham and Chapel Hill whose mission is to cultivate opportunities, assets and communities that sustain transitions out of homelessness and poverty, according to its website.

CEF provides resources such as safe savings accounts and financial coaching to aid their members in becoming financially independent.

Donna Carrington, the executive director of CEF, said that the organization welcomes college students to join its efforts.

One of CEF’s programs pairs advocates with community members who may be unhoused or experiencing poverty and helps them work toward financial independence.

“We are also a learning opportunity for students that want to come to engage with us by being an advocate because they learn some life experiences about what people in our community are dealing with and how to help them,” Carrington said. 

The Marian Cheek Jackson Center

The Marian Cheek Jackson Center is an organization aiming to preserve Black neighborhoods in Chapel Hill and Carrboro and educate the community on the history of civil rights.

With a focus on the neighborhoods of Northside, Pine Knolls and Tin Top, the Marian Cheek Jackson Center works to honor the legacy of civil rights history while building community partnerships in Chapel Hill and Carrboro, according to its website.

Their programs are divided into four areas, advocacy and housing justice; celebration and witness; civil rights and local history education; and student engagement.

The Center has a housing initiative in Northside that has led to their purchasing of over 40 homes in the area in order to keep local residents from being displaced. It also has a student leadership group and the Northside Residential Fellowship. 

The Hargraves Community Center 

The Hargraves Center is a park and community center at 216 N. Roberson St. in Chapel Hill. 

John French, the recreation supervisor for the Hargraves Center, said the goal of the Hargraves Center is to provide exceptional recreation and culture opportunities in beautiful sustainable environments.

"It's a really good place just to be," French said.

Since then, he said it has served as a community center with programs and events, such as summer camps, backpack giveaways and a Juneteenth celebration. 

El Centro Hispano

El Centro Hispano is a nonprofit organization serving the Latino community across central North Carolina. The Carrboro location is at 201 W. Weaver St.

Since 1992, El Centro has been advocating for equity for the Latino community — including high school students, the LGBTQ+ community and more. 

El Centro’s areas of focus are education, economic development, community health, community support and civic and community participation.

The organization offers internships and volunteer opportunities as well as an influencer program where people spread awareness for the Latino community through their social media accounts.

The Compass Center for Women and Families

The Compass Center is a non-profit organization that aims to help all people navigate their journey to self-sufficiency, safety and health, according to its website.

“Our mission is to help clients not only to survive, but to thrive, with greater access to be able to stay free of violence in their lives, while also making sure they have access to programming to be able to access affordable housing, food, education and jobs that pay good wages so that they can actually be greater assets in their community,” Christian Adams, the executive director of the Compass Center, said. 

The Compass Center has a 24/7 crisis hotline for abuse victims, counseling, emergency housing and legal support.

It also provides education on domestic violence and sexual health with students and the community through in-school programs, community youth education and its youth empowerment blog.

The center is located at 210 Henderson St. in Chapel Hill.

@dailytarheel

More in Northside

More in Chapel Hill

More in Carrboro