Monday, March 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

BOG swears in student member, discusses partnership between UNC Health and ECU Health

20230223-Breiner-BOG-Meeting-29.jpg
UNC Board of Governors Vice Chair Wendy Floyd Murphy, UNC Board of Governors Chair Randy Ramsey, and UNC Board of Governors President Peter Hans speak during the UNC Board of Governors meeting at the UNC System Office on Thursday, Feb. 23, 2023.

At the UNC Board of Governors meeting on Thursday, May 25, board members discussed updates on the partnership between UNC Health and ECU Health, swore in UNC Association of Student Governments President Estefany Gordillo-Rivas and reviewed committee meetings from Wednesday. 

What’s new? 

• Gordillo-Rivas was sworn in as the newest student member of the UNC Board of Governors.  
    • “I’m very, very thankful to be a part of this University System," Gordillo-Rivas said. "It’s given me so much, which is why I am here as ASG president and also as a student member of the Board of Governors, because I truly, truly do love this system."
    • She said that she hopes to address mental health resources and accessibility on campus as well as to help students understand the concept of civil discourse – the mutual airing of opinions and being able to come to an understanding. 
  • The 2023 Oliver Max Gardner Award, which recognizes the UNC System faculty member whose work has made the greatest contributions to the welfare of the human race, was presented to Dr. Shelton Earp, director of the UNC Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center. 
    • Dr. Earp has spent his career making contributions to the field of cancer research. His current research looks for new therapeutic options to treat a range of cancers including breast, lung, pancreatic and prostate cancers, as well as leukemia and melanoma. 
    • “Thank you so much for recognizing not just me, but just a wonderful group of people who really love being here, who love creating new knowledge in every sphere and serving the state in every way,” Dr. Earp said. 
  • Over the past few months, Chairperson Randy Ramsey and UNC System President Peter Hans convened in a series of negotiations to establish a bond between UNC Health and ECU Health to operate together to meet the essential needs of citizens in North Carolina. At the board meeting, they gave updates on the partnership between the two schools. 
    • Hans praised the leadership of ECU Chancellor Philip Rogers and Dr. Mike Waldrum, the ECU Health CEO and Brody School of Medicine dean. He also praised UNC Chancellor Kevin Guskiewicz and Dr. Wesley Burks, the UNC Health CEO and UNC School of Medicine dean. 
    • The results of those discussions are reflected in the Senate budget, which would allocate money to support the community hospitals and creates rural health clinics in areas served by UNC Health and ECU Health. 
    • The budget would allow both entities to form a clinically integrated network of physicians, advance several regulatory relief measures and raise pay for nursing faculty across the entire UNC System. It would also allow for a rural residency and medical education fund designed to place more doctors in high-need areas. 
    • Hans said he is cautiously optimistic that the final budget conference report will encapsulate these essential needs. 
    • “One of the frustrations in this job, in this age we’re living through is so much time and energy gets consumed by small-scale fights that stir outrage but produce very few actual outcomes,” Hans said. “This work, by contrast, will matter to generations of North Carolinians.” 
  • The Committee on University Governance discussed and approved three nominees for the UNC Press Board of Governors, which the board approved. 
    • Lisa Levenstein and Timothy Smith were nominated for reappointment and Jerma Jackson was nominated for appointment, all for terms ending on June 30, 2028. 
    • Additionally, the committee reviewed and discussed nominees for the North Carolina Arboretum Board of Directors. Chancellor Kelli Brown, Undi Hoffler and Cheryl Kaynard were nominated for reappointment and Linda Martinson was newly nominated. This action was approved by the board. 
  • Members of the Board of Governors passed a resolution to honor three current board members – Thomas Goolsby, Anna Spangler Nelson and David Powers, whose terms end on June 30, and one former board member – James Holmes Jr.
    • David Powers was awarded the Order of the Long Leaf Pine award by Speaker of the House Tim Moore and Gov. Roy Cooper, which is the state’s highest civilian award. 
  • The Committee on University Personnel proposed the delegation of authority to the president to issue instructions for the 2023-24 SHRA and EHRA Annual Raise Process, which the board approved. 

Who is on the BOG? 

• The Board of Governors is made up of 24 voting members who are elected by the Senate and the House of Representatives of the North Carolina General Assembly. Additionally, the President of the UNC Association of Student Governments serves as an ex officio member of the board. 

The Board will meet again on July 19 and 20.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com