Canadian wildfires put Orange County under Code Red air quality alert

weather alert6.7.23.jpg
East Franklin Street pictured on June 7, 2023. The N.C. Department of Environmental Quality’s Division of Air Quality issued a Code Red status for Orange County due to traveling pollution from wildfires in Canada.

All North Carolina counties are under Code Red or Code Orange air quality alerts as of June 7. Orange County and the majority of the Piedmont are currently under a Code Red alert.

Smoke and particle pollution were carried downwind from Canada into North Carolina on Tuesday. High levels of fine particles are expected to mix near the ground level, as more smoke travels to the state, according to the N.C. Department of Environmental Quality website.

People in Code Red areas should limit heavy outdoor exertion and those sensitive to air pollution should avoid all outdoor exertion. 

In Code Orange areas, those who are sensitive to air pollution should reduce their time outside. 

The DEQ’s Division of Air Quality and the Forsyth County Environmental Assistance and Protection issued the air quality alerts to raise awareness of the health impacts from elevated fine particulate matter, according to the DEQ website. 

@wslivingston_

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science.