Business Boom

All up in your business for Nov. 6, 2015

Hairizon Beauty opens pop-up shop

Durham’s Northgate Mall has a new organic beauty store on its way.

Hairizon Beauty sells organic moisturizers, shampoos, conditioners and gels. The store also has a beauty bar, which allows customers to create their own Shea butter treatments to moisturize their hair and skin.

“You can come in and have a seat as if you are at a commercial smoothie bar or after hours bar," said owner Valerie Jackson, who founded Hairizon Beauty with her daughter. "We’ll whip the butter right there and customize it just for you.” 

But Jackson said the store is more than a one-stop shop for beauty products.

“Hairizon Beauty is a consignment model that showcases local small entrepreneurs with great jewelry, handmade soaps, candles and other products produced by people in the area,” Jackson said.

Jackson said the store is special because it provides quality, organic beauty products at a fair price.

“The prices are reasonable for all generations, whether it be budget conscious college students, mothers or working couples,” Jackson said.

Hairizon Beauty’s new pop-up store opens this week in Northgate Mall's Suite 852.

Craft beer and wine store comes to Durham

A new craft beer and wine store will open this week in Durham.

Bottle 501, located on Watkins Road, will sell craft beers and wines from local vendors as well as breweries and vineyards from all over the world.

Store Manager Michael Fox said the store’s neutral location between Chapel Hill and Durham will be a great way to bring the two communities together.

The store will also open a lounge where customers can hang out, taste drinks and learn about beers and wines from the Bottle 501 staff.

“It’s a relaxed, friendly atmosphere where you can come hang out and discuss beer and wine while enjoying a great pour,” Fox said.

Bottle 501 believes it can cater well to students and young people who are interested in learning more about craft beverages.

“We have an extremely knowledgeable staff that can help someone new to the craft beer scene,” Fox said.

Bottle 501 will officially open Friday with a ribbon cutting ceremony from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. The store’s grand opening is Saturday, from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m.

Fidelity Bank expands to Orange County

Fidelity Bank, a North Carolina-based banking service, is opening up a Chapel Hill-based loan production office.

Senior vice president and area supervisor John Perry said the establishment of the loan office is the first step in expanding Fidelity Bank’s presence to Orange County.

“Typically what banks will do is open a non-traditional office and build up the ballot sheet so that they can justify opening a branch in the area,” Perry said. “They like to get some momentum going prior to investing that kind of capital in a branch."

Fidelity Bank has been in North Carolina for 106 years, and still exists mostly in North Carolina, though it now holds some branches throughout Virginia. Perry said Fidelity’s commitment to serving its home state is what sets it apart from larger, less local banks.

“Since we are based here in North Carolina, we are fully vested in the community that we serve, and we’re better attuned to the needs of communities that we serve,” Perry said.

Fidelity Bank’s new loan production office is located at 101 Europa Dr. in Chapel Hill.

@mollyjordan0