Business Boom

Thrill City makes brief return for UNC's season opener

Those who never got around to purchasing the unmistakeable "Thrill City" T-shirt before the store closed will have another crack at it Sunday.

Though Thrill City, the Chapel Hill-based clothing brand, officially closed in May, co-owner Ryan Cocca said he chose to put a few items up for sale to celebrate the start of basketball season and clear unsold merchandise.

"We didn't realize how much stuff we had left over," Cocca said. "We did extremely well towards the end, but we still have a bunch of stuff."

Inventory is spotty, but Cocca said he still has a few of the scam, legends, retired names, biscuits, bell tower, and closing day designs.

Since the Thrill City website is no longer equipped for commerce, Cocca is selling the merchandise from his personal website, youaintryan.com

Cocca said if the sale goes well he would consider more flash sales and possibly releasing new designs.

"We've already done the work of building the brand, so there's no reason we shouldn't use that to do fun releases every now and then," he said.

However, Cocca and his business partner have moved on from Thrill City. Cocca now works at Nugget, a Durham-based start up, which is taking its first preorders for their iconic couches this week. 

"We're definitely not starting Thrill City again," Cocca said. "But a cool way, we already have this brand established that people know and people get excited about. We can do some cool things with that."