Business Boom

All up in your business for Feb. 15, 2016

Tandem Restaurant replaces Cafe Symmetry in Carrboro 

Carr Mill Mall will be home to Tandem Restaurant starting at the end of March. 

Tandem will offer a variety of modern American selections with a traditional twist.

“They’re going to be cooked in an old-school way, like back to the way food used to be cooked," said Emma Dunbar, the general manager. 

"It’s a refined approach to American food."

She said she and her partner, Younes Sabouh, had been wanting to open their own concept for a while, and figured now was the right time.

Dunbar said the new restaurant will be a full-service concept with a full bar and various seafood, steak and vegetarian options.

Pop-up store opens on Franklin Street

Xenia, a pop-up store offering numerous locally-grown teas, flowers and other artisan goods, has moved in at 422A W. Franklin St., but will only be in Chapel Hill for three months. 

Owner Rickie White said he and his husband got the idea when they moved from Chapel Hill to their farm in Hurdle Mills. 

“One of the things we're interested in is getting more folks in downtown Chapel Hill introduced to the concept of sustainable-grown flowers and teas,” White said.

He said many people in the area are not aware of the unique, seasonal products that farmers produce locally.

White said they came up with the name Xenia because it is a flower that sells well at their farmer’s markets, but is also the Greek word for hospitality.

Pizzeria Mercato heats up Carrboro 

Carrboro welcomed Pizzeria Mercato to its wide variety of dining options Feb. 2 with a successful launch.

The new pizzeria on West Weaver Street has received a positive response and a busy opening, according to Mika Tanimoto, the general manager.

“We are more than just a pizza restaurant,” Tanimoto said. “There is a big focus on our local farmer’s market and the produce we can obtain from them.”

Pizzeria Mercato also offers other alternatives to your traditional pizza pie, with various small plate options. 

The restaurant’s extensive wine list and local beers offer customers many selections to accompany their meals.

@nicole_gonzzz