Business Boom

All up in your business for April 7, 2016

Ulta to open in Eastgate Crossing

A new beauty store is coming to Chapel Hill.

Ulta Beauty is slated to open in the Eastgate Crossing shopping center in late 2016. 

The store will be located in the former Town & Country Hardware retail space next to Trader Joe’s.

Ulta sells cosmetics, fragrances, skin products and hair care products. 

The store also features full-service salons offering hair, skin and brow services. 

The retailer currently has two Triangle locations, one in Durham and one in Raleigh.

Ulta spokesperson Riley Tarver said in an email that the Eastgate location was chosen as it will provide easy access to customers whom they feel will be open to the store’s products and services. 

She said that Ulta wants to be the beauty destination for Chapel Hill residents, offering excellent guest service and beauty expertise, as well as a broad selection of products. 

“Ulta Beauty is all things beauty, all in one place,” Tarver said.

“No one does what we do.”

Peccadillo in Carrboro closes Saturday

After more than four years of mixing drinks, Carrboro’s Peccadillo will close Saturday.

The bar was opened by owner Tim Neill in December 2011 and is located at 100 Brewer Lane, hidden behind the Carolina Car Wash and Detail.

General Manager Heather Shores said that the decision to close followed some unexpected financial challenges.

“It’s one thing when you have two issues — that can be easily managed,” Shores said. 

“It’s another thing when you have a dozen issues all hitting you at once.”

Shores said that although Neill has no plans to reopen Peccadillo, she will continue to work in the Carrboro area. 

She said in noting the business’s closure that she hopes UNC students will make more of an effort to get to know the local community.

“I understand that students are here to get an education,” Shores said. 

“But if they’re going to be a part of this community, they need to participate.”

Wax Poetic expands store to Carrboro  

For those in need of a spa day, Wax Poetic Aesthetics has expanded to a new location in downtown Carrboro offering health and beauty services.

Co-owners Emily Rose and Tara Konkel opened Wax Poetic’s new storefront at 118 E. Main St. in March, after three years in a small studio space. The business offers skin care, massage therapy, laser hair removal, waxing, makeup and other beauty services.

Konkel said that the larger space allowed them to expand their clientele and offer yoga and barre exercise classes in a spare room. Konkel is a certified yoga and barre exercise instructor and said that she believes fitness and beauty services mesh well together.

“We really want to be a place that promotes whole-self beauty,” Konkel said. 

Konkel said other than Wax Poetic, there are no real day spas in Carrboro where residents can hang out and feel comfortable. She said that since they have moved downtown, they have seen an increase in clientele.

“I think people really appreciate the new environment we’ve created,” Konkel said.