Canvas

Jazz legend McCoy Tyner brings innovation, tradition to Memorial Hall Thursday

Four Grammy Awards and nearly 80 albums to his name, jazz pianist McCoy Tyner is an accomplished musician to say the least. And Thursday, Chapel Hill will get to experience his talent at UNC’s Memorial Hall.

Originally part of the famed John Coltrane Quartet, 71 year-old McCoy Tyner launched his solo career in 1965. In 2007, he started a record label, McCoy Tyner Music.

Tyner is known for his pioneering style that continues to influence musicians all over the world. For UNC jazz professor Stephen Anderson, Tyner’s influence extends far beyond the practice room.

“I named my son McCoy after McCoy Tyner, so I’d say his music is important to me,” Anderson said.

Fittingly, Anderson will give the curtain talk Thursday night before the concert.

“I don’t know what I’m going to say in the speech yet,” Anderson said. “But I believe people should know that his unique style of harmony in fourths is what set him apart from any other jazz pianist of his time.”

Before Tyner, most pianists would compose music in thirds, which made for a much more melodic sound, Anderson said. Tyner broke this barrier.

“He unleashed a new power that had never been heard in jazz before,” Anderson said. Tyner’s sound is characterized by an open, yet sophisticated style of blues.

The world-renowned pianist and his trio will add to the already impressive repertoire of artists brought to UNC by the Carolina Performing Arts Series this season. Cellist Yo-Yo Ma opened the season in late August with his genre-bending Silk Road Ensemble.

While Anderson is undoubtedly excited about listening to Thursday night’s performance, his biggest hope for the concert is also probably the simplest.

“All I want is a picture of my son McCoy and Tyner together,” Anderson said.

Come back to Canvas Thursday night for Kelly’s review of the concert

Attend the Performance

Thursday, September 9, 2010 – 7:30 PM
Memorial Hall
Student Tickets $10
General Public: $55/$40/$30/$20