Canvas

McCoy Tyner and friends deliver a night of lively jazz, warmth at Memorial Hall

Seventy year-old McCoy Tyner brought unfailing stamina and musical mastery to the stage of Memorial Hall Thursday night.

Though Tyner may have trouble walking, once he, his trio and special guest saxophonist Gary Bartz began playing, the crew managed to work up a sweat ­— literally.

Tyner even jokingly mentioned about needing to be in good shape for this kind of performance.

The quartet played a mix of songs composed by both Tyner and his old bandmate, jazz legend John Coltrane.

Tyner played in Coltrane’s quartet from 1960-1965.

The sound of smooth jazz and Tyner’s unmistakable style — based on the circle of fourths — continuously resonated throughout the concert hall.

The group pushed through the evening, not stopping for an intermission.

Improvised solos, long drum riffs, seamless piano trills — the night bordered on perfection.

Guest saxophonist Gary Bartz lent his talent to Tyner’s trio for the night.

He expertly ran up and down scales, playing even the most impossibly high notes with crisp intonation.

Bartz shone during the last song, Coltrane’s “Moment’s Notice.”

Bassist Gerald Cannon and drum-player Eric Kamau Gravatt complemented Tyner’s playing with their impressive solos.

In the middle of the concert, Tyner was left alone on stage. He entranced the audience with the dreamlike quality of his trills and his long piano runs, played with a careless flick of the wrist.

His raspy, yet warm commentary made the evening feel close and intimate.

Though the show lasted about an hour and a half, the quartet managed to captivate the audience throughout the evening.

Tyner may not have been able to return for his encore, but that didn’t stop the house from providing a long standing ovation.