Canvas

Wednesday Roundup: Or, how to balance a wide variety of artistic endeavors in a single weekend (Sept. 15 - Sept. 22)

Performance

UNC Department of Communication Studies
“Nothing Pink” (Sept. 16-19. at 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday with a 3 p.m. matinee on Sunday)
Studio Six, Swain Hall
$5 students, $10 general public

Beloved UNC Communication Studies professor Paul Ferguson premieres his new one-act play of unrequited love, Gospel music and southern Baptists. The play — with a cast and crew of current and former students — is based on Mark Hardy’s angsty novel of a gay teen in Virginia struggling to rationalize his romantic feelings with his conservative religious upbringing. Ferguson has put out some interesting stuff in the past, so newest effort should be worth a look.

Read Nick Andersen’s review of “Nothing Pink” here.

Read Laney Tipton’s preview of “Nothing Pink” here.

Deep Dish Theater Company
“Mi Vida Loca” (through this Sunday: 7:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday, 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday)
Deep Dish Theater, Chapel Hill Mall
201 S Estes Dr, Chapel Hill
$12 students, $19 general public

The innovative Deep Dish Theater Company began their 2010-2011 season with a dramedy, featuring a family of misfits, a beach house and a whole lot of detox and divorce. Deep Dish is known for their unusual and creative use of space — they’re based in a mall — and this latest show should prove to be just as exciting. Playwright Erik Overmyer will be honored in a reception Sept. 18.

Read Colin Warren-Hicks’ review of “Mi Vida Loca” here.

Durham Arts Council Centerfest
Saturday, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m. and Sunday, 12 p.m. – 6 p.m.
Foster Street in Durham Central Park District
Free admission ($4 donation requested to benefit Durham Arts Council)

In it’s 37th year, the Durham Arts Council Centerfest is boasting a busy line-up. With a rich local arts presence in both the visual and performance arts at the ‘fest, this year is said to be the largest in the council’s history. Twenty-six performing groups will play continuously through the ‘fest both days, including various dance groups and local musicians. Centerfest-goers will get the chance to choose their favorite visual artist or art piece to be rewarded with the Citizen’s Choice Award. For the kids, there’s a zone of fun arts and crafts projects to conquer. We know Durham is kind of far away — but not really. And the event is semi-free. Thus, you should go.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland Art Museum opened their stellar new exhibit of glass and ceramic work last Sunday. Complete with bold Art Nouveau and Art Deco pieces, among more than 100 others, the exhibit should hold any Ackland enthusiast over until the arrival of Andy Warhol in October. And if vases aren’t your thing, there’s a rather stunning

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits (Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday)
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

We know: the Nasher Museum of Art is in enemy territory. But they have an amazing collection, and The Record, their new exhibit on vinyl art is killer. The (free!) Robertson Bus will take you practically to the museum’s front door. Head over this weekend before venturing into the land of a different kind of blue becomes an issue.