Canvas

Wednesday Roundup: Labor Day and Beyond

Hey cats! Welcome to Canvas, the Daily Tar Heel’s Arts Desk blog. We’re your source for all the extra arts news that doesn’t fit into our slim and simple print edition.

We’ll have a variety of regular features here — on-campus art sightings, artist interviews, creative photos — but we’re most excited about is our Wednesday roundup.

Each Wednesday, we’ll bring you the best of what’s happening at on- and off-campus theatres, galleries and miscellaneous music venues, getting out the word about the arts before they happen so you can be there when they do.

We’re open to suggestions — got an art show you want people to admire? Think your black box musical production of “Hamlet” won’t sell out? Send us an email at artsdesk@unc.edu with the appropriate information (date, time, links to websites, etc) and we’ll see what we can do.

So here’s the scoop:

Performance

Paperhand Puppet Intervention
“Islands Unknown” (7 pm 9/3 – 9/6, 3 pm 9/5)
UNC Forest Theatre, Battle Park
$12 suggested donation

The Carrboro-based Paperhand Puppet Intervention closes its annual giant puppet extravaganza at the Forest Theatre this weekend. It’s a mystical, magical adventure to “see and imagine the hidden parts of the world.” They’ll be back next year, but the giant puppets probably won’t take kindly to you missing out on their antics.

Deep Dish Theater Company
“Mi Vida Loca” (Ongoing, 7:30 pm Wednesday and Thursday, 8 pm Friday and Saturday, 2 pm Sunday)
Deep Dish Theater, Chapel Hill Mall
201 S Estes Dr, Chapel Hill
$12 students, $19 general public

The innovative Deep Dish Theater Company begins their 2010-2011 season with a dramedy, featuring a family of misfits, a beach house and a whole lot of detox and divorce. Deep Dish is known for their unusual and creative use of space — they’re based in a mall — and this latest show should prove to be just as exciting. Playwright Erik Overmyer will be honored in a reception Sept. 11.

Samamidon
Concert (8 pm 9/7)
Gerrard Hall
$1 for UNC students, $5 general public

Indie-folk artist Samamidon — or Sam Amidon, if you’re being more formal — has a smooth and simple sound. He’s the first artist (of many?) to open the CUAB Dollar Concert Series. Sure, it’s a Tuesday, and you probably have class early Wednesday morning, but you can’t beat the price — and if you need to relax after the hectic first two weeks of class, Samamidon’s soul-searching folk songs will soothe the weariest soul. And you can’t have too much homework just yet.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 am – 8 pm Thursday, 10 am – 5 pm Friday and Saturday, 1 pm – 5 pm Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland Art Museum is gearing up for some killer new exhibits — including an Andy Warhol photography retrospective and an art glass and ceramics display — but that doesn’t mean you can’t go visit the free museum during some off time on this long holiday weekend. The McKindle bequest from earlier this summer comes down Sept. 19.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits (Ongoing, 10 am – 5 pm Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 am – 9 pm Thursday, noon to 5 pm Sunday)
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

We know: the Nasher Museum of Art is in enemy territory. But they have an amazing collection, and The Record, their new exhibit on vinyl art (see this week’s Diversions for more), officially opens Sept. 2. The (free!) Robertson Bus will take you practically to the museum’s front door. Head over this weekend before venturing into the land of a different kind of blue becomes an issue.