Canvas

Rennovation of Historic Playmakers Theatre nears completion

At the Historic Playmakers Theatre, plum-colored curtains and lipstick pink upholstery mark the beginning of the end — of construction.

After a long wait to garner sufficient funds, renovations of the over 150-year-old building are nearing completion.

“The current work is really the absolute minimum to bring the building to a point where it may be safely used for performances,” said executive associate provost Ron Strauss in an email.

Though the theater does not appear drastically different, ongoing reparations have rendered the space the object of many theatre and a cappella groups’ affections.

Pauper Players — a musical theater group — is one such expectant student organization.

“We’re so excited to be able to have a stage again,” said Olivia Myrick, Pauper Players’ executive publicity director. “I think it’ll give an extra dose of professionalism to the organization and excitement to the cast, crew, and audience.”

Though no official date has been set for the theater’s opening, Michael Johnson, director of operations for the Office of the Executive Director of the Arts, said that aesthetic changes will be more evident in the coming weeks.

Interested in vying for time in the theater? Johnson assures student groups that the process will be explained in an upcoming mass email.

“I know that there are limited resources on campus for performance. In that vein, I definitely think that everyone will be delighted that this is an additional option,” Myrick said.