Canvas

Roulette Vintage kicks up its heels with boot show

When the temperature drops for fall, the demand for fashionable, wearable and warmer shoes rises.

Carrboro’s Roulette Vintage is combating cold feet.

Friday, the shop is hosting a Western-style trunk show, featuring exclusively the vintage cowboy boot collection of Kitty Siegel.

Siegel will show a collection of about 60 pairs of men’s and women’s boots in various sizes, all for purchase.

Siegel, a native of Tennessee, remembers her first pair of boots — they were brown — and since then, she has been in love.

Miss Kitty’s Bodacious Boots — the title she gives her boot shows — began about a year ago after many inquiries into her footwear.

Siegel collects men and women’s boots from the 1940s through the 1980s. She collects her boots from all over America, including Colorado, Oregon and Texas.

“There’s always a reason behind the boot,” Siegal said. Siegel is very selective and her boots must be in good condition or have historic, nostalgic qualities, she said.

“Sometimes it’s really not about the condition as it is the aesthetic of the boot,” she said.

This is Siegel’s first show at Roulette. She has showcased her boots at Hank Williams Festival in Alabama and is also notorious for designing jewelry.

Junior Erienne Jenkins said she would attend the show.

“It’s great to have a fashion show where everything’s one-of-kind,” Jenkins said.

Siegel’s show is a one night affair. Roulette Vintage co-owner Kara LaFleur said she hopes people will come out.

“Western boots are fun, fabulous and each unique in their own way,” LaFleur said.

Siegel said she has noticed the reemergence of cowboy boots in popular fashion. She wanted to come to the Chapel Hill area because “they get it.”

“Right now, there’s a movement growing where people want quality,” Siegel said. “They’re already broken in for you, and it’s a good value.”

Though all the boots are for sale, Siegel hopes even those on a budget will come out to explore the evolution of boots.

“It’s gonna be a lot of fun,” she said. “Come and learn about all the different lines of cowboy boots from decades passed, and they don’t always look like what you expect them to.”

The show falls on October’s 2ndFriday ArtWalk, which allows Roulette co-owners LaFleur and Rebecca Moore to play up the Western feel.

They love the boots and are excited about the show.

“They’re the perfect accessory to spice up anyone’s wardrobe,” LaFleur. “You can do anything in them.”