Canvas

Wednesday Round-up (10/13-10/20): How to survive the week before fall break

Performance

The Mariinsky Orchestra
Memorial Hall, Thursday 8:00 p.m.
$10 student, $26-$72 general public

Continuing executive director for the arts Emil Kang’s push to bring the world’s greatest symphony orchestras to the University, Carolina Performing Arts is presenting a second evening of St. Petersburg’s Mariinsky Orchestra to Memorial Hall with famed conductor Valery Gergiev. They’ll be performing Mahler’s Symphony No. 6, which Kang himself says is a moving piece. Tickets for the dynamic concert were recently marked down 15%, so a trip to see world class music at Memorial Hall just got even cheaper.

Nation Degeneration CD Release
Kenan Music building, Thursday 7:30 – 9:30 p.m.
Free admission

Never been to a CD release? Now is your chance. Stephen Anderson, assistant professor in the UNC Music Department, is releasing his latest jazz album, “The Stephen Anderson Trio — Nation Degeneration” with Summit Records and is holding the release here in his place of work. The trio — including Jeff Eckels on bass and Ross Pedersen on drums — will perform songs from the album, along with guests Will Campbell on the alto sax, Jim Ketch on the trumpet and Jerald Shynette on the trombone. Stop by to hear some jazz, pick up an album and support a University professor.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland Art Museum recently opened a positively lovely trio of new photography exhibits. We know that most people are going to be geeking out for Big Shots, the collection of Andy Warhol polaroids, but the other two shows (Counterlives and Enduring Likeness) give a truly telling look at photography in all its many forms.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the three new exhibits here.

Plus, this Thursday you can (and should) join the Student Friends of the Ackland in celebrating the Warhol exhibit. Stop by the museum from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. to see the polaroids, eat some free foodsnacks, and hear the music of Chapel Hill’s own Tripp .

And if Warhol isn’t your bag, there’s always the continuing exhibit of glass and ceramic work that opened a few weeks ago. Complete with bold Art Nouveau and Art Deco pieces, among more than 100 others, the exhibit should hold any Ackland enthusiast over.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the exhibit here.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits (Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday)
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Record exhibit on vinyl art is awesome, Canvas’ friends at Diversions say. Enough said.

In celebration of The Record, the Nasher is hosting WXDU’s 5th Annual Record Fair. Dealers from all over the Southeast will be there, selling all sorts of vinyl records, CDs and music memorabilia. The fair (and museum admission!) is free from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.

And while you’re at the museum, check out their one-act play, “Western Men”. Written by Adam Sobsey, it takes a look into the relationship between poets Wyndham Lewis and Ezra Pound as part of the museum’s new exhibit, “The Vorticists: Rebel Artists in London and New York, 1914-18.” Catch the play Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m. with a Sunday matinee at 2 p.m. $5 for the general public, free admission to Duke students.

Miscellaneous

Brother Towns/Pueblos Hermanos
FedEx Global Education Center, Friday from 7-9 p.m.
Free admission

This documentary follows two towns — Jacaltenango, Guatemala, and Jupiter, Florida — that are joined by immigration, work and family. Jupiter is a resort town that many Jacaltecos have migrated to, and the film details the emotion behind this travel and communication between families in the different cities. After the screening, local filmmaker Dr. Charles Thompson will answer audience questions about the movie. The event is sponsored by the Latino Migration Project at the Institute for the Study of the Americas, the Center for Global Initiatives and the NC Council of Churches.