Canvas

Wednesday Roundup 10/27 to 11/3: The back in the saddle edition

Performance

Fences
PlayMakers Repertory Company
Paul Green Theatre, Department of Dramatic Art
7:30 p.m. Tuesday – Saturday, 2:00 p.m. Sunday
Runs now through November 14
$10 student rush, $20-$45 general public

PlayMakers’ Artistic Director Joseph Haj has been working to mount an August Wilson production on the company’s stage since he first came to the Paul Green four years ago. The fact that the work going up this week is “Fences” is a huge boon for the theatrical set in Chapel Hill. Sure, most of the cast is from out of town, but the play is a real classic of the American cannon and definitely worth a look. And watch out for Canvas at Saturday’s premiere.

Read staff writer Julie Cooper’s preview of “Fences” here.

Passion Pit
Carmichael Auditorium
8 p.m. Friday, Oct. 29
$10 UNC students, $15 UNC faculty and staff, $25 general public

Well, after more than a month of writing and speculating about this concert, it’s finally here — the 2010 Homecoming Concert. Canvas is excited about the guys from Passion Pit, but the openers — indie-rapper K.Flay and soul funk rockers Black Joe Lewis & the Honeybears — are almost worth the admission price itself. Despite popular belief, there are still a few tickets left. Head on over to the Union Box Office, and get ready to get down in Carmichael this Friday night.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

The Ackland Art Museum recently opened a positively lovely trio of new photography exhibits. Canvas has already written enough about these exhibits — get out there and see some awesome free art while the going’s good.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the three new exhibits here.

If you’re going to stop by the museum this weekend, check out one of the Ackland’s new Encounter Art tours. Thursday, Friday and Saturday, undergraduate and graduate students will guide engaging and non-contemporary tours. Thursday at 5:15 p.m., choose either “Cleopatra and the East,” led by Isabella Archer or “Andy Warhol and the Fame Machine,” led by Rachel Fesperman. Saturday at 2 p.m., choose between “Art Nouveau: Between Old and New,” led by Isabella Cassell or “The Art of Being Bad,” led by Kate St. John.

Read staff writer Malcolm Ogden’s story on the Encounter Art tours here.

Plus, if Warhol isn’t your bag there’s always the continuing exhibit of glass and ceramic work that opened a few weeks ago.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the exhibit here.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Record exhibit on vinyl art is awesome, Canvas’ friends at Diversions say. Enough said.

And the more recent “The Vorticists,” a celebration of rebellious artists in New York and London at the dawn of the twentieth century, is making a lot of noise — literally. This Sunday, there will be a concert featuring avant garde British and European music as performed through the Duke University Department of Music.

Even more, this Friday and Saturday — from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. — will see a free symposium on the themes presented in the exhibit. A collection of art lecturers from around the world will discuss just what it meant to be avant garde in the early half of the last century. They even have free food. Such a win.

Miscellaneous

The Ladies Ring Shout
Performance and Discussions
8 p.m. Friday Oct. 29 and Saturday Oct. 30 Gerrard Hall
Free Admission

A whole mess of campus organizations — the Office of the Executive Director for the Arts, the Stone Center, the Institute for the Arts and Humanities and the departments of communication studies, women’s studies and African and Afro-American studies — is sponsoring a concert and discussion series on campus this weekend.

But the three women this alphabet soup of groups are bringing are sure to deliver a powerful set of performances. Felicia Holman, Abra Meredity Johnson and Meida Teresa McNeal will combine spoken word, dance and music to explore the lives of ‘women of color’ in the modern world.

As part of the University’s Process Series — an innovative collection of work that celebrates the unusual nature of the art that goes on behind the scenes as well as on the stage — these performances are sure to stun.