Canvas

Wednesday Round-Up 11/10-11/17: Registration frustration edition

Performance

Sutra
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m. Wednesday and Thursday
$10 student, $30-$85 public

In what has been called Carolina Performing Arts’ jewel of the season, 17 monks from the Shaolin Temple in China will perform a dance choreographed for them and around their culture by Flemish-Moroccan choreographer Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui. The dance fuses kung fu with contemporary life and is sure to be a stunner.

Read staff writer Atar Stav’s preview of Sutra here .

Read staff writer Tariq Luthun’s review of Sutra “here”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2010/11/body_mind_and_sutra.

Sweet Charity
Pauper Players
Union Cabaret
8 p.m. Friday though Tuesday, with a 2 p.m. matinee
$5 student,s $10 general public

The UNC Pauper Players brings its first musical of the school year with the beloved story of “Sweet Charity.” Call girls, missed connections and romance gone amok in 1960s New York City, the show promises to be a rollicking good time. And you know you’ve always wanted to hear someone sing “Hey Big Spender” in a place called the Cabaret.

Fences
PlayMakers Repertory Company
Paul Green Theatre, Department of Dramatic Art
7:30 p.m. Tuesday – Saturday, 2:00 p.m. Sunday
Runs now through November 14
$10 student rush, $20-$45 general public

PlayMakers’ latest production — their first August Wilson play — closes this weekend. Go see it now before you lose the chance to see this gripping drama brought brilliantly to life on the Paul Green stage.

Read staff writer Julie Cooper’s preview of “Fences” here.

Read staff writer Colin Warren-Hicks’ review of “Fences” here.

Vertigo
Swain Hall Studio 6
6:00 p.m. Thursday, 8:00 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 3:00 p.m. Sunday, Nov. 12-21

UNC student Lucious Robinson — a real fan of Alfred Hitchcock’s Vertigo — reimagined the classic film for a screenwriting class more than a year ago. The uniquely twisted sibling to Hitchcock’s mystery is now being performed by the Department of Communications Studies.

Joseph Megel directs this nightmarish web of obsession inspired by a horror classic. Vertigo promises to be an intriguing, must-see performance by student and department actors.

Read staff writer Kristina Weeks’ preview of the play “here”:http://www.dailytarheel.com/index.php/article/2010/11/vertigo_to_be_performed_on_stage_at_unc.

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Just because you didn’t get tickets to the Warhol Silver Gala, doesn’t mean you still can’t enjoy the offerings at the Ackland.

The Ackland Art Museum opened their newest exhibit in the upstairs Study Gallery — a space designed for classes to come and study art that is also open during regular museum hours for viewing. “The Legend of John Brown” collects 22 silkscreen prints by Jacob Lawrence, telling the story of the famous abolitionist’s life.

Along with the art, T.J. Anderson’s musical creation, “In Front of my Eyes: An Obama Celebration,” will be on display on campus this weekend. His work is a reflection of President Obama’s life paired with Robert Pinksy’s poetry, and will be premiered in Memorial Hall this Saturday at 8 p.m.

The positively lovely trio of Warhol-inspired photography exhibits remains an Ackland favorite. Canvas has already written enough about these exhibits — get out there and see some awesome free art while the going’s good.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the three new exhibits here.

If Warhol isn’t your bag there’s always the continuing exhibit of glass and ceramic work that opened a few weeks ago.

Read Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s review of the exhibit here.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nahser is hosting their own fund-raising gala this weekend, but its exhibits still remain awesome in their unusual modernity. Check out the Record exhibit on vinyl art, and take a gander at the collection of early modern art in The Vorticists . While not as free as the Ackland, the Nasher can be just as exciting.