Canvas

PlayMakers, Symphony make good of Shaffer's 'Amadeus'

Michael Urie's Mozart sits, driven crazy by a spirit asking him to compose a requiem mass, which Ray Dooley's Antonio Salieri reads as the North Carolina Symphony plays in "Amadeus".
Buy Photos Michael Urie's Mozart sits, driven crazy by a spirit asking him to compose a requiem mass, which Ray Dooley's Antonio Salieri reads as the North Carolina Symphony plays in "Amadeus".

Tonight, Mozart lived.

In body and music, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart whimsied himself into the hearts and ears of Raleigh’s filled Meymandi Concert Hall Friday night.

The encore performance of “Amadeus” two years in the making began with a full symphony, emphasizing the difference between PlayMakers Repertory Company’s first production in 2008. A chorus of whimpered words, “Salieri,” introduced the second element of the unusual show — the story.

Ray Dooley’s Antonio Salieri, an Italian court composer, began the tale of Mozart’s success and decline, seated in front of the North Carolina Symphony. As an old man, he spoke to the audience, or “ghosts from the future”, about the genius man he had known.

Dooley moves smoothly between old and young, praising and hating. In a second, he turns from assuring Michael Urie’s Mozart of his genius and success to contradicting his words in biting fury to the ghosts. In an instant, he would speak youthfully of how crazy Mozart had made him and then, by putting on a robe, shrivel into a man near-death, driven crazy by living.

His performance is supported by Urie (of “Ugly Betty” fame), whose portrayal of the witless wonder Mozart — down to the awful screeching laugh — brought vivacity to the strip of set-less stage. He twisted fits of vulgar rage with childish jokes to embody the wacky Mozart that Shaffer wrote.

Director and Emperor of Austria Joseph Haj brought just enough royalty to the stage, gracing it with shoulders high before taking his throne at the court slouched. Janie Brookshire’s reprised portrayal of Mozart’s wife Costanze felt somewhat out of the period. But her conviction as the loving yet cold spouse shone over an overly American voice.

And then, the music.

After directing a praised run at Paul Green Theater in 2008, Haj said that he heard only one complaint: not enough music. This performance more than makes up for the play’s initial lack, diving into full pieces as cued by Salieri’s memories.

The symphonies are all woven into the story as the royal court watches a Mozart opera or Salieri reads the sole copies of Mozart’s perfect masterpieces. And though the North Carolina Symphony plays Mozart with exquisite perfection, the length of each melody pulled from the drama.

Functioning around the center stage symphony, “Amadeus” is an enriching journey into Mozart’s life, death and music.

Four and a half out of five stars