Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (1-19 through 1-25): The Why Did We Ever Think We Wanted School to Start Again Edition

Performance

Trojan Women
Bingham Black Box
7 p.m. Friday – Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday
Free admission

The communications department is presenting this classical tragedy of epic proportions for one weekend only. The story follows the women of the city of Troy after the walls fall and the Greeks win. At times darkly powerful, this production was put together in the last two weeks by a dedicated group of communications students and friends. Plus, there are handmade shadow puppets.

Hammer No More the Fingers
Historic Playmakers Theatre
8 p.m. Thursday
$1 students, $5 general public

The local rock favorites are bringing their zany live show antics to the recently renovated Historic Playmakers in the latest CUAB $1 Concert series event. Paired up with next week’s epic Big Boi show in Memorial Hall, this Thursday’s concert makes us think CUAB is set to have another phenomenal semester. Also, it costs $1. Why would you not go?

Mitsuko Uchida
Memorial Hall
8 p.m. Friday
$10 – $85

The Carolina Performing Arts series kicks off the new semester with this captivating and energetic pianist. Tickets are close to selling out, so if you think an evening of classical music in the heart of campus is up your alley, get moving before it’s too late. Canvas will be there, and we’d love to run into you.

Aleck Karis
Hill Hall Auditorium
7:30 p.m. Thursday
Free admission

The UNC Music Department brings guest pianist Aleck Karis to the awkwardly-orientated Hill Hall Auditorium for an evening of classical music. Of particular interest to Canvas is the promise of at least one piece by French master Olivier Messiaen. Canvas may not be able to make it, but you probably should go, if only for the Messiaen.

Louise Toppin
with John O’Brien, piano and Brent Wissick, cello
Hill Hall Auditorium
3 p.m. Sunday
Free admission

UNC Music Department faculty member Louise Toppin offers her soprano stylings in this free and likely lovely recital. Before the real world of school starts up again, head over to Hill Hall for a bit of musical relaxation and stimulation.

Art

First Year
John and June Alcott Gallery, Hanes Art Center
Jan. 11 – Feb. 11
Free admission

This one month exhibit in Hanes Art Center features the work of students currently in the first year of a master’s in fine arts, including Lee Delegard, Ashley Florence, Cora Lim, Chris Musina, Jason Osborne, Neill Prewitt, Jonathan Sherrill and Seoun Som.

These eight artists’ works explore a variety of themes and mediums. See the artwork in the John and June Alcott Gallery.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Through March, Ackland is featuring three new exhibits:

-“Tradition in Clay: Two Centuries of Classic North Carolina Pots” features pottery from various collections — including Ackland’s own — all native to North Carolina. More than 100 pots are on display.

-“At Work in the Wilderness: Picturing the American Landscape, 1820-1920” explores the conflicting ideas of land in the quickly urbanizing country. The paintings all examine how one might reframe natural landscapes. The collection shines a light on the human/nature relationship. An audio accompaniment to the exhibit further explores ideas about the changing American landscape of the time.

-“The Oldest Paintings in America” showcases, through photography, the ancient rock art in Utah’s Colorado Plateau. Goodloe Suttler photographed the rock paintings that date to around 5,000 B.C.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues the Record exhibit on vinyl art. Go now before the grooves disappear in early February.