Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (1-26 through 2-2): Rainy Day Edition

Performance

Angels in America
Paul Green Theatre
Tues. through Sat. at 7:30 p.m., Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m. from Jan. 29 to Mar. 6.
Tickets $10 to $45

In two parts — the first, “Millenium Approaches” then “Perestroika” — “Angels in America” explores the issues of AIDS and homosexuality in the 1980s.

The award-winning play, written by Tony Kushner, features two couples — one gay and one straight — and their encounters with disease, sex and sexuality in the age of Reagan.

The two parts will run in rotation through the week and back-to-back beginning at 2 p.m. on Saturdays.

The show officially opens with “Millenium Approaches” Tuesday at 7:30 p.m., though preview performances run this weekend (part one Saturday, part two Sunday).

Read Canvas’ story on the historically controversial play in the print edition Tuesday, and look for a review soon after!

Solo Takes on Two
Swain Hall Studio 6
Jan. 25 to Jan. 30, 5 p.m., 8 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Admission is $5 per show, or $10 to see all three.

UNC alumnus Sean McKeithan performs “On Breathing In the Barrel,” a wamder through his own history and Bourbon that investigates white southern masculinity. PlayMaker’s Joseph Megel directs McKeithan’s soliloquy.

Gretchen Fox’s “G(rape)” plays on “The Fox and the Grapes,” an Aesop fable that explores the uncomfortable feeling that comes from holding opposing ideas at the same time. Fox’s performance plays tug-of-war with this internal conflict.

And, beginning Jan. 28, Carols Manuel will give a guest monologue about his life, based on the Ricky Martin classic, ““Livin’ La Vida Loca”“:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p47fEXGabaY .

Check Friday’s print edition for a story on the festival and a profile of McKeithan.

Metamorphoses
LAB! Theatre
Center for Dramatic Art Room 104
8 p.m. Thursday – Sunday, 2 p.m. Sunday, 5 p.m. Monday
Free Admission

In their first production of the new calendar year, the kids at LAB! dive headfirst into a collection of assorted Greek myths in staged format.

Canvas doesn’t know much about this production, but we do know that the people at LAB! usually do a bang-up job, so it’s probably worth it to check it out. Plus, this is a LAB!oratory production, in which LAB! regulars and extras do smaller-scale, exploratory works in a creative format.

But keep in mind: we have it from a good source that seating for the show is rather limited, so if you’re thinking that an evening of Greek story telling might be up your alley, get there early and get there often.

Wynton Marsalis
Memorial Hall
Fri. and Sat. at 8 p.m.
Limited availability. Tickets range from $55 to $100.

New Orleans native Wynton Marsalis is performing this weekend with his Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra. They will play pieces from Jazz greats Ellington and Coltrane as well as original works.

Marsalis is the first jazz composer to win the Pulitzer Prize in music, and has won Grammy awards in both jazz and classical music.

Art

First Year
John and June Alcott Gallery, Hanes Art Center
Jan. 11 – Feb. 11
Free admission

This one month exhibit in Hanes Art Center features the work of students currently in the first year of a master’s in fine arts, including Lee Delegard, Ashley Florence, Cora Lim, Chris Musina, Jason Osborne, Neill Prewitt, Jonathan Sherrill and Seoun Som.

These eight artists’ works explore a variety of themes and mediums. See the artwork in the John and June Alcott Gallery.

Read staff writer Julie Cooper’s profile of the show here.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

A panel discussion this Thursday at 6 p.m. celebrates the Ackland’s continued showing of David Wojnarowicz’s “A Fire in my Belly.”

The discussion will feature debate and opinion from Rich Cante of the Department of Communication Studies, Michelle Robinson of the Department of American Studies and Randall Styers of the Department of Religious Studies.

Wojnarowicz’s film — which was recently removed from the Smithsonian Institute’s National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. — features a scene in which ants crawl on a crucifix and deals largely with Wojnarowicz’s battle with AIDS.

Under pressure from the Catholic League and conservative politicians, the Smithsonian removed the four-minute clip from their “Hide / Seek: Difference and Desire in American Portraiture” exhibition.

The installation at the Ackland includes three films – two longer original cuts by the artist and the four-minute version that was re-edited by the Smithsonian.

The four-minute version will be screened as part of the Thursday evening panel discussion

All three versions of “Fire in my Belly” will be screened until Feb. 13 in the Study Gallery. Look for Canvas’ story on the controversial exhibit in print on Friday!

And through March, the Ackland is featuring three exhibits:

-“Tradition in Clay: Two Centuries of Classic North Carolina Pots” features pottery from various collections — including Ackland’s own — all native to North Carolina. More than 100 pots are on display.

-“At Work in the Wilderness: Picturing the American Landscape, 1820-1920” explores the conflicting ideas of land in the quickly urbanizing country. The paintings all examine how one might reframe natural landscapes. The collection shines a light on the human/nature relationship. An audio accompaniment to the exhibit further explores ideas about the changing American landscape of the time.

-“The Oldest Paintings in America” showcases, through photography, the ancient rock art in Utah’s Colorado Plateau. Goodloe Suttler photographed the rock paintings that date to around 5,000 B.C.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues the Record exhibit on vinyl art. Go now before the grooves disappear in early February.

Miscellaneous

Budrus
FedEd Global Center
Jan. 27 from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m.
Free admission

“Budrus” is the story of the village Budrus in Israel’s West Bank. There, the government tried to build a wall that would cut the small village off from the land they depend on to make money and survive. The film follows the nonviolent protest of the villagers, led by a father and daughter.

After the screening, Just Vision — a group of Israelis, Palestinians and North Americans who seek to make people more aware of those Palestinians and Israelis pursuing nonviolent solutions — will host a discussion of the film and the issues it brings to light.