Canvas

Alvin Ailey to perform last Carolina show with artistic director Judith Jamison

<p>The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater perform three new pieces at Memorial Hall in 2010 and returns to Chapel Hill this week.  Courtesy of Carolina Performing Arts</p>
Buy Photos

The Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater perform three new pieces at Memorial Hall in 2010 and returns to Chapel Hill this week. Courtesy of Carolina Performing Arts

Although the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater may come back to the Memorial Hall stage in the future, this week’s trio of performances is the last time the group will perform under Judith Jamison.

Jamison has been artistic director of the influential company since 1989, and danced with the company from 1965 to 1980. She will retire at the end of the season this spring.

The company has performed at UNC at least four times in the past, but this is the first time they have performed on campus for more than two nights, said Sean McKeithan, Carolina Performing Arts Marketing Director.

“Everybody’s really enjoyed them in the past, so we thought it would be great to have them for one more night,” CPA Artist Coordinator Michelle Bordner said.

The performances tonight and Thursday include a dance directed by Robert Battle, the artistic director designate, who will succeed Jamison next season.

The performance Wednesday will have a different program, Bordner said.

Tickets are still available for all three performances, with the most being available Wednesday, McKeithan said.

The Alvin Ailey company is often considered to be one of the most influential American dance companies.

“People who have never seen a dance performance in their life know about Ailey,” McKeithan said.

Company dancer Renée Robinson is also speaking to the Black Faculty Caucus and interested students at 2 p.m. tomorrow at the Carolina Club in the George Watts Hill Alumni Center.

Dr. Deborah Stroman, the chairwoman of the Carolina Black Caucus — a group dedicated to the enrichment of the University’s black faculty and employees — said that she asked Carolina Performing Arts to arrange for someone from the company to speak with the caucus because the ensemble is such an important part of American dance, she said.

“Dance is very, very important,” Strom said. “It’s as natural as breathing — everyone has movement.”

Robinson is one of the only remaining dancers in the company who danced when ensemble founder Alvin Ailey served as its director.

Dancer Vernard Gilmore also taught a master class Monday.

Junior Hannah Davis, a dancer in UNC Inversions Modern Dance Company, expects the performance to be inspiring.

“Their passion helps fuel ours,” Davis said.

Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater will perform at Memorial Hall at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Tickets are $10 for students and $30 to $85 for the general public. Check out the Carolina Performing Arts website for more information.