Canvas

LAB! Theatre goes "Under Construction" with alternative techniques

“Under Construction,” LAB! Theatre’s newest production, promises viewers an original show that differs from each that preceded it.

“We play off the audience,” actor Doug Harris said. “We don’t know exactly what is going happen when we go on stage.”

Spanning from the Norman Rockwell ’50s to the present, the show examines American culture, its progression and the different cultural perspectives people have developed. Each actor plays multiple characters who span decades.

“Anybody in the show would give a different answer of what it means,” director Jeb Brinkley said. “It is certainly the most unique I have directed.”

The play will discuss cultural and social issues in order to force audience members to think about their views and beliefs.

“Some might be offended or some might laugh, but hopefully they will think about why the performance triggered that reaction,” actor David Hutchenson said.

“Under Construction” uses several methods that separate it from typical shows, such as three televisions running throughout. Improvisation used during sections of the performance means no one performance will be identical. While the play offers a series of vignettes instead of an overarching narrative, every scene intends to excite.

“The entire show is highlights,” Hutchenson said. “That’s the nature of short scenes and vignettes, all pack a punch.”

The performance utilizes a complex technique called Viewpoints, through which cast and crew design a performance outside of traditional methods. The actors interact heavily with their visual space during the performance and collaborate with directors and others when developing it.

Brinkley said the actors brought all their talents together to create something original. He said the way everyone came together made a narrative evolve.

Hutchenson said a play like this is difficult to articulate.

“You have to watch to see and understand it.”