Canvas

Performance on Tuesday to honor activist Pauli Murray

Tonight, the Sonja Haynes Stone Center will feature the story of Pauli Murray, a champion of womens’ rights.

The play, “To Buy the Sun: The Challenge of Pauli Murray” — written by Lynden Harris and directed by PlayMakers Repertory Company regular Kathryn Hunter-Williams — revolves around the story of Murray, a ground-breaking pioneer of the civil rights movement.

Murray, a product of Durham, North Carolina, was a quintessential jack-of-all-trades when it came to speaking out and being heard.

Murray was denied entry into UNC for her race, and later Harvard University for her gender.

Nonetheless, Murray persevered and became a civil rights leader through her writings and legal methodology.

A graduate of the University of California at Berkley’s law school, Murray also contributed to the NAACP’s legal strategy in the monumental civil rights court case Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas case in 1954.

Produced through the efforts of Duke University’s Pauli Murray Project and the performance ensemble Hidden Voices, tonight’s play will highlight the essence of Murray’s life.

The one-night performance runs in commemoration of the 100th Anniversary of Murray’s birth.

The show will be put on tonight at 7:00 P.M in the Stone Center and tickets are free.

See Hidden Voices’ website here for more information.