Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (3/23-3/30): Hello, Sunshine Edition

Performance

The Collective
Kenan Theatre
Thurs. to Sat. at 8 p.m., Sun. at 2 p.m. and Mon. at 5 p.m.
Free

Senior Catya McMullen’s play “The Collective” premieres tomorrow night. It follows the story of Frankie, a rambunctious 19-year old whose conversations with her therapist reveal the inner workings of the people around her.

Read staff writer Jess Broadbent’s story on McMullen and “The Collective” on the front page of Thursday’s print edition.

Triangle Dance Festival
Memorial Hall
Friday, 7 p.m.
Free

An annual celebration, the Triangle Dance Festival for AIDS is a night of dance and performance to benefit HIV/AIDS the African American Dance Ensemble, Tony Johnson, Occaneechi and various other dance, music and spoken word performers.

NC Dance Off
Memorial Hall
Thursday at 7 p.m.
Free

Fifth annual dance off hosted by Terrence J.

It’s free and it’s CUAB-tastic, so count Canvas in.

Nederlands Dance Theatre
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday
$10 students, $20-$40 General Public

The Nederlands Dance Theatre, a dynamic and ground-breaking ensemble, continues the Carolina Performing Arts series’ fantastic collection of dance this year with these two evenings of movement and music.

The Dutch ambassador to the United States is making a special trip down from D.C. to see the performance, which probably indicates how fantastic this show will be. If the ambassador from the Netherlands can make it out to Memorial Hall, you can too.

dreamlife: an installation / performance
The Performance Collective
The Student Artery
136 E. Rosemary Street
Starts 5 p.m. Friday

Canvas has been following senior Peter Pendergrass all year through its In the Studio series. Last Friday, Pendergrass officially opened his senior thesis performance.

The performance — a mixed-media exploration of dreams, reality and the space for discovery that exists between the two — continues its run through the end of the month, with a series of installation evenings on March 25 and 30.

Check out staff writer Abby Gerdes review of the show here.

Art

Living Kibera
FedEx Global Center
March 17 to July 15
Admission is free

The art featured in “Living Kiberia” comes from photos of Kenyans living in the Nairobi slum over the last six years. The photos showcase the humanity of the area, looking at different people in the region through various mediums.

An opening reception will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 17. Visitors will have the chance to interact with the cultural aspect of the exhibit, building a typical Kiberan shack with recycled materials and crafting soccer rag balls.

ArtCenter’s Student Art Exhibit
The ArtsCenter
March 3 to March 31
Admission is free

The Annual ArtSchool Student Exhibit opened earlier this month (while Canvas was reveling in pre-Daylight Savings Time break). It features the work of current and former students at the center’s ArtSchool. Various mediums will be on display until the end of the month.

The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald
Robert and Sallie Brown Gallery in the Sonja Hayes Stone Center
Mon. to Fri., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 3 – April 27
Free admission

“The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald” continues to dazzle at the Sonya Hayes Stone Center.

Sherald’s artwork is a self-reflection of life as a Southern black woman through post-modern eyes. The work removes the idea of skin color, illustrating the race of her characters through physical characteristics instead. The images grew into fantastical portrayals, full of color and life.

Read staff writer Jess Broadbent’s story on the gallery here.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Join Ackland during extended hours to celebrate “Think Thursday.” This week, hear Professor Rachael DeLue of Princeton University discuss the work of Arthur Dove, one of the earliest American abstract painters. The talk will start at 5:30 p.m. and will be followed by a reception.

Sunday, March 27, join Isabella Archer for a tour focusing around Delacroix’s “Cleopatra and the Peasant” and the surrounding theme of Orientalism in Western art. The tour will begin at 2 p.m. and is free for the public.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues its musical methods with the opening of “The Jazz Loft Project: W. Eugene Smith in New York City, 1957-1965,” a beautiful collection of photography and recordings from a crucial era in the jazz scene.

Read staff writer Michelle Lewis’ story about the exhibition here.