Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (3/16-3/21): The Why Isn't It Still Spring Break Edition

Performance

The Andersen Project
Memorial Hall
Thurs., March 17 and Fri., March 18 at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets $10 to $30

Robert Lepage performs his one-man show with props and a striking use of technology. The play explores human sexuality, fantasy and fame through Hans Christian Andersen’s famously grim fables.

Read staff writer Tariq Luthun’s preview of the event here, and look for a review in Friday’s print edition.

dreamlife: an installation / performance
The Performance Collective
The Student Artery
136 E. Rosemary Street
Starts 5 p.m. Friday

Canvas has been following senior Peter Pendergrass all year through its In the Studio series. This Friday, Pendergrass officially opens his senior thesis performance.

The performance — a mixed-media exploration of dreams, reality and the space for discovery that exists between the two — will run through the end of the month, with a series of installation evenings on March 21, 25 and 30.

Check out staff writer Abby Gerdes preview of the story in Friday’s print edition, and check in with Canvas for more information as the performance continues.

CHiPS
Student Union Auditorium
8 p.m. Friday
Tickets at $6, $5 with a CHiPS flyer

UNC’s favorite student improv comedy troupe brings its nearly-award-winning brand of humor to the Union for its first full-length performance of the semester.

Like most CHiPS shows, this will probably be a good time full of laughs, but it’s improvised, so we can’t tell what’s going to happen.

And the fine folks in the troupe are finalists for a national college comedy search — see them now before they become rich and famous…maybe.

Southern Sacred Steel Conference
The ArtsCenter
5 p.m. Thursday to 3 p.m. Sunday
Individual events range from free to $53 while weekend passes to all events range from $70 to $128.

The steel-faced guitar has a unique sound. In the South, the bluegrass twang has created it’s own culture — resulting in the Southern Sacred Steel Conference, sponsored by the Carrboro ArtsCenter and the Center for the Study of the American South. Featuring the music of the Allen Boys and the Lee Boys, among others, the event also offers master classes and workshops all surrounding the steel guitar culture. Check out the ArtsCenter calendar for a full list of events, coded from March 17 to March 20 in green.

John the Revelator
Memorial Hall
Tues., March 22 at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets $10 to $20

Phil Kline will perform a choral Mass inspired by the music of vocal group Lionheart and the string quartet ETHEL. The mass will also feature literary readings and hymns to create the eclectic feel that is expected from the group.

Art

Living Kibera
FedEx Global Center
March 17 to July 15
Admission is free

The art featured in “Living Kiberia” comes from photos of Kenyans living in the Nairobi slum over the last six years. The photos showcase the humanity of the area, looking at different people in the region through various mediums.

An opening reception will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 17. Visitors will have the chance to interact with the cultural aspect of the exhibit, building a typical Kiberan shack with recycled materials and crafting soccer rag balls.

ArtCenter’s Student Art Exhibit
The ArtsCenter
March 3 to March 31
Admission is free

The Annual ArtSchool Student Exhibit opened earlier this month (while Canvas was reveling in pre-Daylight Savings Time break). It features the work of current and former students at the center’s ArtSchool. Various mediums will be on display until the end of the month.

The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald
Robert and Sallie Brown Gallery in the Sonja Hayes Stone Center
Mon. to Fri., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 3 – April 27
Free admission

“The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald” continues to dazzle at the Sonya Hayes Stone Center.

Sherald’s artwork is a self-reflection of life as a Southern black woman through post-modern eyes. The work removes the idea of skin color, illustrating the race of her characters through physical characteristics instead. The images grew into fantastical portrayals, full of color and life.

Read staff writer Jess Broadbent’s story on the gallery here.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Join Ackland for an extended-hours tour celebrating “Think Thursday.” This week, hear senior Maressa McCall speak on the music of the Silk Road at 6:00 p.m.

Also on Thursday, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., join the discussion of “At Work in the Wilderness: Picturing the American Landscape” and Sarah Orne Jewett’s novel “The Country of Pointed Firs and Other Stories” with Sarah Blythe, a graduate student at UNC.

In their last days of display, the three exhibitions at the Ackland will be featured in a special event Sunday, March 20.

-At 1:30 p.m., Director of Communications Emily Bowles will lead a tour of “Tradition in Clay: Two Centuries of Classic North Carolina Pots.” The exhibition features pottery from various collections — including Ackland’s own — all native to North Carolina. More than 100 pots are on display.

-At 3 p.m., Director of External Affairs Amanda Hughes will give a last-look tour of “At Work in the Wilderness: Picturing the American Landscape, 1820-1920.” This exhibition explores the conflicting ideas of land in the quickly urbanizing country. The paintings all examine how one might reframe natural landscapes. The collection shines a light on the human/nature relationship. An audio accompaniment to the exhibit further explores ideas about the changing American landscape of the time.

-“The Oldest Paintings in America” showcases, through photography, the ancient rock art in Utah’s Colorado Plateau. Goodloe Suttler photographed the rock paintings that date to around 5,000 B.C.

From 2 to 3 p.m., there will be a special performance of the weekly Music in the Galleries, featuring music from the Southern Folklore Collection that focuses on the Piedmont in ode to the North Carolina pottery exhibited.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues its musical methods with the opening of “The Jazz Loft Project: W. Eugene Smith in New York City, 1957-1965,” a beautiful collection of photography and recordings from a crucial era in the jazz scene.

Read staff writer Michelle Lewis’ story about exhibition here.

Miscellaneous

*PlayMaker’s 2011-2012 Season Reveal *
Center for Dramatic Art/Paul Green Theatre
Thursday, March 17 starting at 5:30 p.m.
Must RSVP. Contact the box office for more information.

Beginning with hors d’oeuvres, the reveal party for PlayMaker’s 2011-2012 season will be an event of its own. At 6 p.m., Producing Director Joseph Haj will present the new season of both mainstage and PRC2 productions on the Paul Green Theatre main stage.