Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (3/2-3/9): The Preparing for Spring Break Edition

Performance

Leon Fleisher
Memorial Hall
Mar. 3 at 7:30 p.m.
Tickets $10 to $55

A pianist of the highest regard, Leon Fleisher comes to UNC to play a six piece concert with one, two, and four handed arrangements.

Fleisher lost control of his hand nearly 40 years ago to focal distonia. Since then, he has undergone surgery and Botox treatments to regain use and begin performing live again.

He will be playing Thursday with his wife two pieces called “for Piano Four-Hands” as well as his rearrangements called “for Left-Hand.”

Read assistant editor Katelyn Trela’s preview of the event here.

Angels in America
Paul Green Theatre
Tues. through Sat. at 7:30 p.m., Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m. from Jan. 29 to Mar. 6.
Tickets $10 to $45

In two parts — the first, “Millenium Approaches” then “Perestroika” — “Angels in America” explores the issues of AIDS and homosexuality in the 1980s.

Tony Kushner’s award-winning drama features two couples — one gay and one straight — and their encounters with disease, sex and sexuality in the age of Reagan.

The two parts will run in rotating repertory through the week and back-to-back beginning at 2 p.m. on Saturdays.

The show officially opened with “Millenium Approaches” this Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

Read assistant editor Katelyn Trela’s preview of the play here

Read staff writer Colin Warren-Hicks’ review of the play here.

On display in the Paul Green Theatre in conjunction with the performances of “Angels in America” is the NAMES project AIDS memorial quilt.

Read staff writer Michelle Lewis’ story on the quilt here.

Art

The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald
Robert and Sallie Brown Gallery in the Sonja Hayes Stone Center
Mon. to Fri., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 3 – April 27
Free admission

“The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald” continues to dazzle at the Sonya Hayes Stone Center.

Sherald’s artwork is a self-reflection of life as a Southern black woman through post-modern eyes. The work removes the idea of skin color, illustrating the race of her characters through physical characteristics instead. The images grew into fantastical portrayals, full of color and life.

Read staff writer Jess Broadbent’s story on the gallery here.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Join Ackland for an extended-hours tour celebrating “Think Thursday.” This week, take a tour of “Tradition in Clay: Two Centuries of Classic North Carolina Pots,” at 6:00 p.m. led by curator Terry Zug.

There will also be an Encounter Art Tour Thursday at 6 p.m. Enounter Art Tours encourage conversation and discussion about a specific gallery or piece of work. Rachel Fesperman will lead the interactive tour this week, looking at portrayals of women, gender and sexuality in European and American art. The “Womenly Wiles: Women and Gender in Art c. 1800-1950” tour will begin at 5:15 p.m.

Through March, the Ackland is featuring three exhibitions:

-“Tradition in Clay: Two Centuries of Classic North Carolina Pots” features pottery from various collections — including Ackland’s own — all native to North Carolina. More than 100 pots are on display.

-“At Work in the Wilderness: Picturing the American Landscape, 1820-1920” explores the conflicting ideas of land in the quickly urbanizing country. The paintings all examine how one might reframe natural landscapes. The collection shines a light on the human/nature relationship. An audio accompaniment to the exhibit further explores ideas about the changing American landscape of the time.

-“The Oldest Paintings in America” showcases, through photography, the ancient rock art in Utah’s Colorado Plateau. Goodloe Suttler photographed the rock paintings that date to around 5,000 B.C.

The Ackland is also featuring the film, “A Fire in My Belly,” by artist David Wojnarowicz, in its second floor Study Gallery.

Wojnarowicz’s film — which was recently removed from the Smithsonian Institute’s National Portrait Gallery in Washington, D.C. — features a scene in which ants crawl on a crucifix and deals largely with Wojnarowicz’s battle with AIDS.

The installation at the Ackland includes three films – two longer original cuts by the artist and the four-minute version that was re-edited by the Smithsonian.

All three versions of “Fire in my Belly” will be screened until Feb. 13 in the Study Gallery. Catch up with the films before they disappear.

And read staff writer Katherine Proctor’s post on an discussion panel discussing the film here.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues its musical methods with the opening of “The Jazz Loft Project: W. Eugene Smith in New York City, 1957-1965,” a beautiful collection of photography and recordings from a crucial era in the jazz scene.

Read staff writer Michelle Lewis’ story about exhibition here.