Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (3/30-4/6): Goodbye, Sunshine Edition

Performance

Music on the Porch
Jon Shain, Rhiannon Giddens and Steve Kruger
Pleasant Family Assembly Room, Wilson Library
5 – 7 p.m.
Free Admission

The Center for the Study of the American South wowed Canvas last semester with its knee-slapping concerts on their front porch on Battle Lane.

And although the rain is moving Thursday’s fun inside, the free concert still looks to stun. Rhiannon Giddens, a member of local favorites the Carolina Chocolate Drops, is a real highlight of what should be a lovely afternoon of cheery tunes.

It may not be on the porch, but it’s still sure to be a good time.

All Shook Up
Historic Playmakers Theatre
8 p.m. Friday through Tuesday, 2 p.m. Sunday
$5 students and faculty, $10 general public

For its last show of the academic year, Pauper is rolling out this Elvis-tastic musical montage of 50s-era rock bliss. The jukebox musical — featuring exclusively the music of Elvia Presley, the King of Rock n’ Roll — tells the story of a small town suddenly smitten with a love bug when a sultry drifter appears on a motorcycle.

Loosely based on Shakespere’s gender-bending comedy “Twelfth Night,” this poppy performance has some of Pauper’s best folks on center stage. Check it out before the King rolls out of town.

The Franciscan and the Gypsy
Hill Hall Auditorium
7:30 p.m. Thursday
$10 for students, $15 for general public

The music department’s Chamber Singers – a prestigious group of student singers — will be performing the music of Liszt, Bartok and Brahms in “The Franciscan and the Gypsy: Liszt Anniversary Concert.” The singers will be accompanied by pianist Norman Bemelmans.

Student Composers Concert
Person Recital Hall
Friday at 8 p.m.
Free

Music students taking composition classes will be performing works they wrote through the year. This showcase of student talent should definitely not be missed.

Canvas has covered student composers throughout the year. Check out the Arts story archives for more stories about talented student musicians.

St. Petersburg Philharmonic
Memorial Hall
Tuesday, April 4 at 7:30 p.m.
Student tickets are sold out. A few general admission tickets are left, ranging from $75 to $150.

Performing at the helm of conductor Yuri Temirkanov with cello soloist Alisa Weilerstein, the St. Petersberg Philharmonic is truly a classic. Formed under Russian Czar Alexander III in 1882, the orchestra has consistently performed (and often premiered) the greatest musical works.

This performance continues the work of Emil Kang, executive director for the arts at UNC, who hopes to bring the world’s 10 best orchestras to campus as part of the Carolina Performing Arts series.

Art

Acts of Discernment
Hanes Art Center Auditorium (Room 121)
Thursday at 5:30 p.m.

Lisa Rosenthal, an art historian and chairwoman of the art history program at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, is coming to UNC to speak about 17th century artworks. Her lecture, “Acts of Discernment: Gallery Pictures, Knowledge, and Self-Knowledge in the 17th Century and Now,” is a part of the Bettie Allison Rand series of lectures in Art History.

Living Kibera
FedEx Global Center
March 17 to July 15
Admission is free

The art featured in “Living Kiberia” comes from photos of Kenyans living in the Nairobi slum over the last six years. The photos showcase the humanity of the area, looking at different people in the region through various mediums.

An opening reception will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 17. Visitors will have the chance to interact with the cultural aspect of the exhibit, building a typical Kiberan shack with recycled materials and crafting soccer rag balls.

ArtCenter’s Student Art Exhibit
The ArtsCenter
March 3 to March 31
Admission is free

The Annual ArtSchool Student Exhibit opened earlier this month (while Canvas was reveling in pre-Daylight Savings Time break). It features the work of current and former students at the center’s ArtSchool. Various mediums will be on display until the end of the month.

The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald
Robert and Sallie Brown Gallery in the Sonja Hayes Stone Center
Mon. to Fri., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 3 – April 27
Free admission

“The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald” continues to dazzle at the Sonya Hayes Stone Center.

Sherald’s artwork is a self-reflection of life as a Southern black woman through post-modern eyes. The work removes the idea of skin color, illustrating the race of her characters through physical characteristics instead. The images grew into fantastical portrayals, full of color and life.

Read staff writer Jess Broadbent’s story on the gallery here.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Join the Ackland’s “Art Now / Cinema Now” program in previewing the exhibitions that will be opening April 7. Paired with the Varsity Theatre, the Ackland is screening “Germany, Pale Mother” on April 2 at 7 p.m.

The film, directed by Helma Sanders-Brahms, looks at the post-World War II experiences of women and children in Germany. It highlights their struggles with national identity after the holocaust. A mix of found footage from 1940s Germany and other cinematic imagery works as an exploration of Sanders-Brahm’s adult sensibility.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues its musical methods with the opening of “The Jazz Loft Project: W. Eugene Smith in New York City, 1957-1965,” a beautiful collection of photography and recordings from a crucial era in the jazz scene.

Read staff writer Michelle Lewis’ story about the exhibition here.

Miscellaneous

Creative Carolina
All Week
Various Events and Times

The Creative Carolina week, a celebration of the arts at UNC put on by the Medlin Administration, features such exciting events as some of the above listed plays, a student film festival and an appearance by “Entourage” star Adrian Grenier, who will be showing his documentary “Teenage Paparazzo” on Saturday.

Be sure and read the print edition tomorrow for staff writer Britton Alexander’s preview of the week, and see Arts Editor Nick Andersen’s interview with Adrian Grenier there, too.

Gen Silent
Friday Center
April 2 at 1 p.m.
Free

The UNC School of Social Work is hosting “Breaking Generation Silent: Facing the Needs and Challenges of LGBT Elders,” an event highlighting the existence of an entire LGBT community that is aging. The event kicks off with the documentary “Gen Silent” that exposes the realities of the older LGBT community — including poverty, isolation, health care issues and discrimination. Directed by Stu Maddox, “Gen Silent” has received praise from national film festivals.