Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (4/6-4/13): The Finding It Hard To Concentrate Edition

Performance

Big River
Paul Green Theatre
April 6 to April 24, Mon. to Sat. at 7:30 p.m., Sat. and Sun. at 2 p.m. (There will be no 2 p.m. performance on April 9 but there will be a 7:30 p.m. performance on April 10).
Tickets from $10 to $45

Adapted from the Mark Twain classic “The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn,” “Big River” tells a musical adventure of the young Huck Finn. Music for the play will be performed by The Red Clay Ramblers, who originally performed for the Broadway show.

Read staff writer Nidhi Singh’s preview of the play here.

And look for a review from Arts Editor Nick Andersen next week in the print edition.

A Night with David Hyde Pierce and Brian Hargrove
CDA Room 104
5 p.m. Thursday
Admission is Free

Actor David Hyde Pierce, best known for his role as Nigel Crane on NBC’s “Fraiser,” is visiting UNC Thursday with his husband, screenwriter Brian Hargrove as a part of the Creative Carolina week celebrating the arts. The pair will lead a small group session discussing writing for television.

Tickets are free and available to the first 50 or 60 attendees.

Read staff writer Brian Gaither’s preview for the event here.

Music Department Performances
UNC Guitar Ensemble
Hill Hall
Sunday from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Free

UNC Percussion Ensemble
Kenan Rehearsal Hall
Thursday at 7:30 p.m.
Free

UNC Wind Ensemble and UNC Symphony Band
Memorial Hall
Friday at 8 p.m.
Tickets are $5 for students, $10 for the general public.

Big Fish
Varsity Theatre & Hyde Hall
Tues., April 12, 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Tickets are free with UNC OneCard and $3 for the general public

The Center for the Study of the American South is hosting a viewing of the 2003 Tim Burton film, “Big Fish.” The movie is based on the novel “Big Fish: A Novel of Mythic Proportions” by UNC creative writing professor Daniel Wallace, who will speak after the film along with professor Bill Ferris.

“Big Fish” tells the story of a son who, in trying to learn more about his dying father, relives stories and myths that his father told him. It stars UNC alum Billy Crudup, Ewan McGregor and Albert Finney.

Art

Living Kibera
FedEx Global Center
March 17 to July 15
Admission is free

The art featured in “Living Kiberia” comes from photos of Kenyans living in the Nairobi slum over the last six years. The photos showcase the humanity of the area, looking at different people in the region through various mediums.

An opening reception will run from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. March 17. Visitors will have the chance to interact with the cultural aspect of the exhibit, building a typical Kiberan shack with recycled materials and crafting soccer rag balls.

The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald
Robert and Sallie Brown Gallery in the Sonja Hayes Stone Center
Mon. to Fri., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Feb. 3 – April 27
Free admission

“The Magical Real-ism of Amy Sherald” continues to dazzle at the Sonya Hayes Stone Center.

Sherald’s artwork is a self-reflection of life as a Southern black woman through post-modern eyes. The work removes the idea of skin color, illustrating the race of her characters through physical characteristics instead. The images grew into fantastical portrayals, full of color and life.

Read staff writer Jess Broadbent’s story on the gallery here.

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Two new exhibits focusing on pre-war European and post-war German art are opening Thursday at the Ackland.

“DE-NATURED: German Art from Joseph Beuys to Martin Kippenberger” and “Romantic Dreams | Rude Awakenings: Northern European Prints and Drawings, 1840–1940” will both open at 5 p.m.

The opening will begin with a panel discussion at 5:30 p.m. with professors from UNC, Wake Forest University and Boston University. It will be moderated by Peter Nisbet, chief curator at the museum. The group will discuss the achievement of modern German art and the artists featured in “DE-NATURED.”

From 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., the museum will host a reception with light refreshments and music.

In conjunction with the exhibits, the Varsity theatre will screen “Our Hitler,” a 1977 German film examining the culture from which Hitler arose, on Saturday at 3 p.m.

Nasher Museum of Art
Gallery and Exhibits
Ongoing, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 10 a.m. – 9 p.m .Thursday, noon to 5 p.m. Sunday
$5 general admission, $3 non-Duke students with I.D., free on Thursdays

The Nasher at Duke continues its musical methods with the opening of “The Jazz Loft Project: W. Eugene Smith in New York City, 1957-1965,” a beautiful collection of photography and recordings from a crucial era in the jazz scene.

Read staff writer Michelle Lewis’ story about the exhibition here.