Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (6/8 to 6/15): The Students Are Coming Edition

Performance

Zach Ward’s Farewell
DSI Comedy Theater
Friday, 8 p.m.
$10; Mr. Diplomat is Free

The man who made Carolina comedy what it is today heads off to manage BostonImprov. Catch Zach Ward on stage one last time before he leaves Carrboro. With the final showing of Senior PGA, as well as other shows like CageMatch and Mr. Diplomat, this is sure to be a bittersweet night full of laughter to ease Ward’s exit.

Read Arts Editor Tariq Luthun’s story here

The Big Uneasy
Varsity Theater
Friday, Saturday and Wednesday thru Thursday, 7 p.m. and 9:20 p.m., Sunday and Monday, 7 p.m.

The voice of a number of Simpsons characters, Harry Shearer steps away from comedy and into the role of director for this film. The Big Uneasy is an award-winning documentary that delves into how, why, and who is responsible for Hurricane Katrina ending up so disastrous.

Read Staff Writer Tyler Confoy’s story here

Art

Ackland Art Museum
Gallery and Exhibits (10 a.m. – 8 pm Thursday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. Wednesday, Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. – 5 p.m. Sunday)
Free admission

Adding to the Mix I: John Wesley’s Boeing (1982) is the museum’s latest exhibition that focuses on the recently acquired work in Boeing (1982). It is part of an informal series that is set to place recent museum acquisitions within the context of pieces that are already a part of the Ackland’s collection.

Lee Smith
Flyleaf Books
Wednesday, 7 p.m.
Free

Author Lee Smith will be at Flyleaf bookstore in order to promote her new book, Mrs. Darcy and the Blue-Eyed Stranger. The southern author has published 12 novels and four collections of short stories. Her latest book was published in paperback on May 30.

The 2ndFriday ArtWalk
Chapel Hill, Carrboro
Friday 6 p.m.
Free

Indulge in one of the many arts venues around campus. At University Mall, the Scrapel Hill People’s Choice & Corporate Choice Awards winners will be announced, in addition to the annual Dream Acts exhibit which will be featured at 523 E. Franklin. Take advantage of this artsy Friday night.