Canvas

"SIC" to open LAB!ratory season Thursday

The text of Melissa James Gibson’s play “SIC” has no punctuation.

An experimental script submitted to LAB! Theatre’s second stage, LAB!ratory, “SIC” is the first show of the LAB! season.

LAB!ratory exists to explore the more experimental and barebones part of theatre,” said Meghan Modafferi, director of the show.

The show will be in Room 103 of the Center for Dramatic Art.

“LAB!ratory is ideal for small, intimate shows wherein the cast is in very close proximity with the audience of about fifty people,” said Melanie Rio, LAB!‘s publicity director.

Modafferi said she proposed “SIC” to LAB!ratory by noting the subject of the play, the amount of set necessary and her plan to structure rehearsals in an interview with LAB! producers.

She said “SIC” is consistent with the LAB!ratory’s untraditional style.

“It really makes you stop and think about the meaning of each individual line and word,” Modafferi said.

The plot centers on three people who live in adjacent apartments and are stuck somewhere in between college and real life. Conversations often take place in transitive areas like hallways and overheard in an airway.

She said she was originally inspired by her sister’s production of “SIC” in Charlotte when she was much younger.

Matt Sampson plays a character who composes music for an amusement park.

The play stresses verisimilitude, or how we talk in daily life, he said.

Sampson also said the audience will only get a snapshot of the character — the rest the actor must create in their mind and give to the audience.

SIC” will open Thursday night at 8 p.m. in Room 103 of the Center for Dramatic Art. Other shows will Friday and Saturday at 8 p.m., Sunday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m., and Monday at 5 p.m.