Canvas

UNC symphony, choir unite for December concert

Every two years, the UNC Symphony Orchestra and the Carolina Choir join forces.

This year, the two groups plan to amaze their audience with pieces by Beethoven, Brahams, and Williams.

For the first half, the UNC Symphony Orchestra will perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 5 in C minor. After intermission, the Carolina Choir will perform a piece written by Brahams, followed by the combined performance — “Dona Nobis Pacem”.

UNC Symphony Orchestra conductor Tonu Kalam said that even though the event is infrequent, it’s a special experience for both groups.

“The choir gets to sing with a full orchestra, and we get to work with a new group, also,” said Kalam.

Kalam and Carolina Choir director Susan Klebanow take turns conducting the combined performance. This year it is Klebanow’s turn.

While Klebanow will conduct “Dona Nobis Pacem”, Kalam has been working closely with the symphony to prepare.

“Both of us really enjoy when we have the opportunity to conduct. It’s a very different sort of event. It takes a lot of rehearsal time to adjust the balance,” Kalam said.

Sophomore Maggie Radack, a UNC Symphony violinist, said she is excited for the concert — especially the combination of orchestral and choral sounds.

“There are parts in ‘Dona Nobis Pacem’ when both the orchestra and choir get really loud,” she said. “It creates a much more intense and richer sound than you can get with just one or the other.”

But there are also challenges that come with combining two different groups.

The Carolina Choir will be on risers behind the UNC Symphony during their combined performance — forcing the orchestra to pay close attention to their volume.

“We’ve really had to be careful about how loud we play,” said Radak. “We are always aware and make sure we can hear the choir above our instruments.”

Both the Carolina Choir and the UNC Symphony Orchestra have spent large amounts of time preparing for the concert. Carolina Choir has been working toward the event since the beginning of this semester, and the UNC Symphony Orchestra began rehearsing after their concert in October.

“It will really be a spectacular evening, both for the audience and those of us on stage,” Kalam said.

See the performance Dec. 8 at 7:30 p.m. in Memorial Hall. Tickets are $10 for students and faculty and $15 for the general public.