Canvas

CHAT Festival returns to the Triangle

On Monday, China will be projected onto the exterior of the Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University in Durham.

As part of the second Collaborations: Humanities, Arts & Technology festival, various media artists’ work, including “A China of Many Senses” by Bill Seamen will be presented as part of the opening reception that will kick off the four day festival.

The first CHAT festival was hosted by UNC in 2010. This year’s festival will be collaboratively hosted by Duke, UNC and NC State but will take place on Duke’s campus.

CHAT’s aim is to foster and share ideas about technology, visual arts, and humanities and to foster a relationship between those in the community who are interested in the topics, said festival director Victoria Szabo.

“The goal is to showcase the projects that are being done in our region and to promote awareness of it for ourselves and each other,” she said.

Throughout the week, the festival’s packed schedule includes keynote panels, guest speakers, exhibitions, and interactive presentations on a range of topics.

Activities like a smartphone-guided tour of art museums will combine technology and the humanities to prove for an entirely new visual experience.

“It’s a form of augmented reality. It floats in space images of specific artwork and you walk around and see floating in space reference images,” Szabo said.

For the most part, the festival is about collaboration and getting people excited about what is happening in the area.

“I’m excited to see everyone together and talking,” she said.

“It’s about the conversations, I mean its called CHAT, which is what it is all about: chatting about your ideas.”

The CHAT festival runs from Feb. 6 to Feb. 9. For a full schedule of events, visit the festival website.