Canvas

Celebrated jazz musician visits student radio station

Matthew Shipp’s contribution to jazz music is evident when you look at the shelves of WXYC’s studio.

His collection of CDs spans almost a foot, and that’s not even all of his music — some of his records are in other rooms.

And today, Shipp himself was in the studio — along with drummer Whit Dickey and bassist Michael Bisio — to answer questions of UNC environmental science professor, DJ, and longtime fan of Shipp, Will Vizuete.

Other WXYC DJs listened on excitedly. Shipp is a favorite at the station, and most of his CDs are in rotation, meaning they get relatively frequent airplay.

Shipp said he could feel the energy at WXYC. He said his favorite part of visiting college towns is the college radio.

“College radio is such a great thing, but it’s not as strong as it was in the ‘90s,” Shipp said. “But I can feel you’ve got something here.”

Vizuete first saw Shipp perform live in the days of college radio’s height, about fourteen years ago. Shipp was traveling with David S. Ware, a legendary saxophonist he’s often collaborated with.

The performance made an impression on Vizuete, and he’s been an avid fan ever since, collecting about 20 albums on which Shipp has performed.

He remembers seeing Shipp stand up and playing the strings in the piano.

“I particularly remember Shipp and the ferocity with which he attacked the piano,” Vizuete said.

But although Shipp makes an impression in others’ memories, he tries to keep his own blank, at least when he’s performing.

And he certainly has a lot of memories tied to his career — he’s worked with everyone from jazz legends like Ware to electronica celebs like DJ Spooky.

But during the WXYC show, he turned down the volume when Vizuete played his music.

“Whatever memory there is, I try to get rid of it,” he said. “I try to trust the moment.”

The Matthew Shipp trio will perform tonight at 7:30 p.m. in Hill Hall. Admission is free for students, and $12 for the general public.