Canvas

Wednesday Roundup (3/15-3/21): Baby It's Hot Outside

Thursday

Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra w/ Wynton Marsalis
Memorial Hall
7:30-9:30 p.m.
Student tickets are sold out
Other tickets range from $79 to $139

Trumpet player and New Orleans native Wynton Marsalis was the first jazz composer to win a Pulitzer Prize. He was also the first artist to win jazz and classical Grammy Awards in the same year. Playing alongside Marsalis are 15 leading jazz soloists.

Friday

The Boxcars with the Hillbenders
The ArtsCenter
8 p.m.
$17 in advance
$19 day of

This bluegrass show marks The Boxcars’ debut performance in the Triangle. The group was named Emerging Artist and Instrumental Group of the Year by the International Bluegrass Music Association. The Hillbenders will open.

Saturday

Harvesting Pomegranate Dreams – A Puppet Dream Play
Historic Playmakers Theatre
10 p.m. (also Friday at 8 p.m.)
Free admission

Puppets whimsically explore topics such as mothering, war, migration, birth and death. The performance is part of the communication studies department’s Process Series, in which professional authors and playwrights present shows and encourage audience discussion afterward.

Sunday

Spectacular Self/Vernacular Self
Hanes Art Center Auditorium
2 p.m.
Free admission

This is the final day of the Ackland’s “Spectacular of Vernacular” exhibition. The program features a discussion on the presence of autobiography and the vernacular in contemporary art. The program is moderated by Ackland chief curator Peter Nisbet and includes conversations with Walker Art Center chief curator Darsie Alexander, exhibiting artist Marc Swanson and UNC assistant professor of art Cary Levine.

Monday

DSI’s “Best Show Ever”
Historic Playmakers Theatre
7 p.m.
Free admission

DSI Comedy Club’s improv and stand-up team starts off CUAB’s Comedy Week. The show will feature an interview with Student Body President elect Will Leimenstoll.

Tuesday

C!RCA
Memorial Hall
7:30 p.m.
$10 with UNC OneCard, otherwise $10-$49

The Australian company brings a fusion of dance and extreme circus skills for an exhilarating performance that taps into the sophistication and fragility of human nature and emotion.

Wednesday

The Theater Today w/ Athol Fugard, Ed Strong & Joseph Haj
Hyde Hall
2-3:30 p.m.
Free admission

The Institute for the Arts and Humanities presents this panel discussion as part of its 25th anniversary series. The conversation will focus on the role of theater in the world today. Panelists are playwright Athol Fugard, this year’s Morgan Writer-in-Residence; Ed Strong, producer of Broadway’s Jersey Boys; and Joseph Haj, producing artistic director of PlayMakers Repertory Company.