Canvas

Designers display wares at Fearrington boutique

From hand-crafted jewelry to designer clothes, the trunks at Dovecote Boutique are full of artisanal treasures.

The boutique, located in Pittsboro’s Fearrington Village, will kick off its third annual trunk show series this weekend, featuring products from Alicia Peru and Bittersweet Designs. The showcase will run from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday and from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday.

“We are thrilled to have both of these vendors with us this weekend,” said Daneen Eaton, merchandising manager of Dovecote.

Bittersweet Designs is known for its contradictory pairing of antique and new styles of jewelry, which owner and designer Laurie Lenfestey makes by hand.

Because each piece is singular and unique, Lenfestey’s designs have developed a huge following among Dovecote customers. But she says this weekend shoppers can expect to see even more one-of-a-kind pieces that aren’t available in stores.

“We’re excited,” Lenfestey said. “We have a lot of new designs and new stones. Plus, we love meeting buyers face-to-face, meeting new people and seeing some old buyers again.”

Interaction between customers and designers is part of the reason the trunk shows have been so popular. Attendees are encouraged to talk to the designers about how they created the pieces and how one could wear and layer the products.

Eaton said this is the first year Dovecote has scheduled such a full line-up. The designers were selected from visits to fashion capitals such as New York and Atlanta.

Eaton discovered Alicia Peru — a brand specializing in alpaca and pima cotton knitwear — in New York. Alicia Rodriguez and Patricia Markevitch are the mother-daughter duo behind the Peruvian capes, wraps and cardigans.

This weekend will be the Washington-based company’s first time in North Carolina and its first appearance at the Dovecote trunk show.

The Dovecote Trunk Show series in Fearrington Village features ten more designers and will continue every weekend through the month of October ending with a weekend in November and one weekend in December.