Canvas

LAB!'s 'Eurydice' aptly journeys through comedy and tragedy

The LAB Euridyce production puts on a rehearsal on the night of October the 10th, practicing for their upcoming opening night.
Buy Photos The LAB Euridyce production puts on a rehearsal on the night of October the 10th, practicing for their upcoming opening night.

LAB! Theatre’s adaptation of the Greek tragedy “Eurydice” is a twisty, comedic take on the original.

Nathaniel Claridad’s direction of “Eurydice” is a successful take, though the tragedy is slow to build.

The set, script and acting, as well as the special effects and choreography, are visually stunning.

One side of the stage is filled with white boxes and shelves littered with knickknacks.

On the other side is a platform where the couple is stationed: Orpheus, played by Allen Tedder, sits strumming his guitar, and Eurydice, played by Abigail Coryell, lies with a book over her face.

To the right is a spiral staircase and on the left is a long blue sheet that comes down and across the front of the stage — symbolizing a river with letters strewn about it.

At the play’s start, the audience meets Orpheus and Eurydice, the lovers, and sees their relationship progress from engagement to wedding.

Sandwiched between these scenes is the first sign of tragedy. Eurydice’s father, played by Nathan Logan, writes her a letter from the Underworld — with no way of delivering it.

It is in these first three scenes that the action is slow and the audience is hammered with back story and love scenes.

From this point on, the play alternates between tragedy and humor.

Tedder’s portrayal of Orpheus begins on a low note, the acting sometimes flat.

But he soon transforms into a tragic figure worthy of the classic Greek tales, composing grief-stricken music as he mourns his dead bride.

After being dipped in a river in Hades, Eurydice loses the ability to read, write and speak the language of the living.

The amount of humor in LAB!’s rendition is a surprise since the play is based on a Greek tragedy.

Some of the dialogue evokes laughs from the audience, such as personal stories that Eurydice’s father recounts.

Andrew Crabtree comedically steals the show.

Portraying the Interesting Man/Child, Crabtree takes the stage looking deranged and continues to aptly show his character’s immaturity while wearing the most outlandish costumes of the cast.

The play’s special effects are unexpectedly realistic and professional, adding a sense of wonder to the show.

Flashes of light illuminate Eurydice’s death as she falls down the set of stairs.

As she enters the Underworld a door slides open and water rains down, filling the frame.

When any character dips their head into the river, they emerge wet.

In one scene, rose petals fall onto the stage and onto the audience as well.

The choreography is on cue — especially in the scene where Eurydice follows Orpheus out of the Underworld.

As Orpheus travels across the entire stage, depicting the long journey, Eurydice moves carefully so she is never in his field of vision.

“Eurydice” is successful as a whole, despite its slow start — the balance of humor and tragedy propelling the journey to Hades of the doomed duo.

Staff writer Rebecca Pollack attended the Saturday, Oct. 13 showing of “Eurydice. She gives the performance four stars out of five. See the closing performance tonight at 8 p.m. in the Kenan Theatre.