Canvas

Q&A with folk musician Ian McFeron

Ian McFeron is a Seattle based folk musician who first broke into the music scene in the early 2000s. Since then, he has produced six albums and is currently working on his seventh. He is influenced by 60s and 70s singers such as Bob Dylan and Jodi Mitchell, as well as contemporary Americana and bluegrass.

McFeron and his band tour regularly across America and have recently branched out into Europe. He will be playing in Chapel Hill Saturday at Caffe Driade at 8:00 p.m.

Staff writer Rebecca Tobin spoke with McFeron about touring, writing and his inspiration.

The Daily Tar Heel: How did you start out?

Ian McFeron: I guess when I was a kid. I used to write music on the piano, I never had lessons or anything. I got more into lyric writing in high school; I had an opportunity to record a first album with a friend and we started touring around the Northwest.

DTH: Tell us about your tour.

IM: We’ve just finished five weeks of touring today, we’re just a little over halfway at this point.

DTH: Do you like touring?

IM: Yes, absolutely. We try to do two national tours a year and try to be on the road about 200 days per year — you feel more productive on the road. It’s a really good way to connect and stay in touch with people over the years. It keeps your network fresh.

DTH: What subjects do you write about?

IM: You always want to write about things that are present. I guess I write about relationships, also songs about spiritual questioning. As humans, we’re all relationship beings, and that’s not just in the romantic sense, we want to connect spiritually. The new album will be all about conversations I collected on the road.

I started writing positive things about the times, the economy you know … I don’t think too much about what I write about, I get on a certain wavelength and write through till that well runs dry.

DTH: Do you have any connection with North Carolina?

IM: Well this our fifth time coming through the Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Carrboro area. Other than the fact I really like the music from around here, I don’t have any personal connections.

DTH: Do you have a preferred instrument?

IM: I guess I go back and forth between piano and guitar. I like picking up different instruments, you know. I have a banjo at home. The music’s the same no matter what you pick up.

DTH: If you could have a drink with any musician, who would it be?

IM: Oh man — well Dylan was always my hero. He sets the bar high lyrically, and he’s also intriguing in that the character of Bob Dylan is one of his most creative artistic works. No one knows what’s behind that mask. I’d be worried if I met the guy I wouldn’t like him, though.