Canvas

UNC Wordsmiths selects team of 5 for national competition

While most of us find a way to express ourselves in a mere 140 characters or in a simple Facebook status, the UNC Wordsmiths use poetry that’s as eye opening as it is personal.

From racism to women’s rights to abuse, the UNC Wordsmiths didn’t hold back on the audience Saturday night at the finale of their Grand Slam Weekend.

The event was hosted by CUAB in the Great Hall of the Student Union.

The contestants competed in three rounds, each coming to the stage with a different story, another facet of their identity to share.

As each round went on, points given by audience judges trimmed the ten contestants down to five. Sophomore Eliot Darrow, who was chosen as one of the finalists and the overall winner of the Grand Slam, said it was not so much about winning as it was competing with his fellow peers.

“I love the fact that I get to do this. I’m so blessed to share the stage and my love for poetry with these young poets, it’s absolutely incredible,” Darrow said.

After a couple of deep breaths, the contestants stepped up to the microphone to make their words become a platform for their feelings or a version of their own therapy.

The audience seemed to be completely engrossed by the powerful and cathartic messages being given by their peers.

“The beautiful thing about spoken word, in my opinion, is that it lowers the barriers to entry into the world of poetry by emphasizing personal stories and implementing poetic techniques to help people engage and develop an appreciation for how dynamic this art form can be,” said Tariq Luthun, executive director of the UNC Wordsmiths.

Besides cheers and snaps, the only words from the audience were “don’t be nice.” Junior Lauren Bullock, another finalist, said the phrase motivates her on the stage.

“For me, what it means is don’t be gentle with your piece, don’t second guess yourself,” she said.

“Go in, all the way.”

The other finalists included junior Gabe Baylor, first-year Julia McKeown and junior Veev Conty.

These five finalists will compete in the 2013 College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational in April.