Canvas

The week ahead, April 14-20

Looking to learn more about North Carolina and the southern experience? Every week, Tales from the Old North State will feature events in and around the area that highlight the history and culture of N.C.

Beasts of the Southern Wild

What: Film Screening

When: April 14, 7 p.m.

Where: Bryan Center Griffith Film Theater at Duke University

Join six-year-old Hushpuppy as she faces natural disaster, searches for her mother and analyzes the order of the universe from her Louisiana bayou community. A discussion with Duke faculty will follow the screening. Parking passing and snacks will be provided.

Bluegrass Jam

What: Performance

When: April 14, 5:45 p.m.

Where: The ArtsCenter, Carrboro

Bring your fiddle, banjo, mandolin or guitar to this casual bluegrass jam where musicians of all skill levels are invited to join in a chord progression and meet other musicians in the area.

Ivy Rowe

What: Performance

When: April 18 and April 19, 8 p.m.

Where: Carrboro ArtsCenter

Come listen to Ivy Rowe recall the history and struggles of Appalachia in this adaptation of Lee Smith’s play “Fair and Tender Ladies.” As a sassy mountain woman, Rowe tells of 20th century revivals, mine disasters, rural electrification, the Great Depression and three wars with humor and compassion.

Tickets: $16, $14 Seniors, $12 Students and Friends

Brewery Olympics

What: Competition

When: April 19, 5 p.m.

Where: Raleigh Brewing Company

Watch six of the Triangle’s best craft breweries fight for gold in the first Brewery Olympics. Fullsteam Brewery, Gizmo Brew Works, Steel String Brewery, Double Barley Brewing Company, White Street Brewing Company and Raleigh Brewing will compete in various brewery tasks, including keg stacking, grain bag carrying and speed bottle capping. There will also be brewing trivia and a cask tasting where the public has the chance to vote.